Technical Panda self-diagnostics

Currently reading:
Technical Panda self-diagnostics

ScoobyChris

Established member
Well, it seems I've finally managed to break the 100hp and now have the check engine light on solidly. I tried stopping and restarting the engine too but it comes back so it sounds like a proper fault. Car is driving ok, although it feels like it has restricted power above 4k rpm (perhaps it's limiting itself to stop the cam switch over) and doesn't feel rough, etc.

The only thing I recall reading that goes wrong on these engines is coil packs but I'm not sure whether that would tie in with what I'm seeing?

So, do I need to get it booked into a dealer to find out the fault code or does the Panda have some clever fault self-diagnostics that would allow me to read it off the display? Would a regular OBD-II reader work? I suspect I know the answer to this, but the nearest dealer is some 30 miles away and I want to have an idea whether the car is ok to drive before I embark on the journey :ROFLMAO:

Thanks all!

Chris

Last edited:
Well, it seems I've finally managed to break the 100hp and now have the check engine light on solidly. I tried stopping and restarting the engine too but it comes back so it sounds like a proper fault. Car is driving ok, although it feels like it has restricted power above 4k rpm (perhaps it's limiting itself to stop the cam switch over) and doesn't feel rough, etc.

The only thing I recall reading that goes wrong on these engines is coil packs but I'm not sure whether that would tie in with what I'm seeing?

So, do I need to get it booked into a dealer to find out the fault code or does the Panda have some clever fault self-diagnostics that would allow me to read it off the display? Would a regular OBD-II reader work? I suspect I know the answer to this, but the nearest dealer is some 30 miles away and I want to have an idea whether the car is ok to drive before I embark on the journey :ROFLMAO:

Thanks all!

Chris

Cam switch over? 100HP doesn't have VVT.

Why worry about the fault code, other than out of interest, surely it's more important to get a dealer to fix it.

Why worry about the fault code, other than out of interest, surely it's more important to get a dealer to fix it.

Because some faults are minor things that won't cause further damage to the engine if ignored (or driven a long way to a dealer) and others mean that the car should be dragged there by the AA.

Would a regular OBD-II reader work
Yes, at least you will know which component(s) are showing a fault.
Remember the engine check light comes on when an emission related fault occurs which doesn't always mean impending doom - if you see what the fault code is, reset it and than see if it occurs again ;)

I've had total non-starts and other engine faults on my MJ and never had an engine management light come on!

I have a cheap generic OBD reader which works fine on the Panda and an ACR4 which sort-of-works. The generic reader should be fine for reading and maybe resetting the warning light - but if the fault is still there, the light will probably come back on.
The warning light can come on if it detects misfires, but I'd have thought you'd feel vibration if you were running on three pots - remember it's not supposed to sound like a flat four!

Handbook basically says you can drive it, but don't thrash it. I'd get it to the dealers (if under warranty), especially when you say performance is restricted.

Thanks for the thoughts. I was reminded of the threads on "running on 3 cylinders" but it still feels fine to drive. Dropping it into the dealer this afternoon and will see what they say. :D

Chris

Sounds very like the trouble I had a month or two back and the fault lay with the throttle body and the engine going into limp mode as you describe.

Cost = £30 diagnostic check at garage and £100 for new part (fitted).

This was a 1.2 4x4 though, not a 100hp so probably something else!

Good luck:)

Just got back from the dealer who diagnosed it as a throttle pedal potentiometer fault, which would tie in with apparent restricted performance at higher revs, albeit inconsistent, with no rough running. Techie cleared the light and said it should be fine to drive, although the fault code will probably come back. They'll hopefully have the part in early next week.

Right, now time to make up the lost work hours :rolleyes::ROFLMAO:

Chris

What year is your Panda 4x4? Can you tell me what type of connection/ protocol it takes? I am shopping for a diagnostics kit but no one can help me in this regard!

Back