General Panda Sat Nav....

Currently reading:
General Panda Sat Nav....

"6.2 inch digital touch screen with resolution 800*480 pixels"

No thanks :yuck:. That's before you even get to the fact that it runs Android 4.0 (ancient) and has the hardware specs of a mid-range Android phone from about 4 years ago. It's going to be slow, laggy and generally awful to use.

I'll stick with using a £5 windscreen mount and my Note 2, undoubtedly a much nicer overall experience. Not to mention the whole damn phone only cost about £90 more than this HU and I get a hell of a lot more use out of it than anyone does out of their sat-nav (apart from maybe taxi drivers, but not many of them drive Pandas).

Long story short, I've not tried it and have no desire to. It'll be awful.

2/10 - must try harder, eBay sellers.

Lol.. I just thought it looked nicer than the standard stereo!

I think cosmetically it looks good - not unlike the rare optional one that was available. You'd want to see it in operation though - the GPS in particular.

I'd have no qualms about Android 4.0 for this kind of application and the screen resolution is little different to what you'd get in current models like the SEAT León. Sure, it's not the latest Samsung OLED screen, but hey.

At £330 though? Sit back and wait.

I bet it's got a resistive touch screen (the crap plastic type ancient touchscreen phones had) lots of cheap Android tablets from several years ago had them and this is basically an ancient, crap Android tablet grafted onto a car stereo designed for a Panda. The seller would be making money at £80, unless they were well and truly ripped off by their Chinese supplier.

I wouldn't fit it in my car, Android 4.0 just won't run well on such pathetic hardware.

Nice idea, awfully executed. As Gav said, probably hoping some poor sod thinks it's the genuine Fiat unit.

I've looked into a sat nav head unit but decided a mirror link unit would be better - apart from the price - fully fitted and all made compatible with steering wheel controls the quote for an Alpine unit came in at £750! - then I would have to ditch my moto g and get a mirror link compatible phone too, I'm sure these things will get cheaper Halfords had a sony mirror link setup for £350.
I love my android devices but they don't take long to become buggy and laggy, though the improvement of newer handsets over old is marked.
Probably worth a punt if you get it super cheap - I'm sure someone else on here had a similar unit once then sold it on pretty quick - there was a you tube vid too.

I've looked into a sat nav head unit but decided a mirror link unit would be better - apart from the price - fully fitted and all made compatible with steering wheel controls the quote for an Alpine unit came in at £750! - then I would have to ditch my moto g and get a mirror link compatible phone too, I'm sure these things will get cheaper Halfords had a sony mirror link setup for £350.
I love my android devices but they don't take long to become buggy and laggy, though the improvement of newer handsets over old is marked.
Probably worth a punt if you get it super cheap - I'm sure someone else on here had a similar unit once then sold it on pretty quick - there was a you tube vid too.

Truth is, none of these things will be as good as the latest tech. I'll stick with my 2012 Nexus 7. Used every day for 2 years and faultless.

Plus, with the Panda dashboard and some discreet Nexus cover customisation you can wedge the additional cover flap into the CD aperture and have your tablet covering the stereo front rather nicely. I'm finding Sygic a decent satnav companion (when I actually need it at all).

...The seller would be making money at £80, unless they were well and truly ripped off by their Chinese supplier...

I've checked a few of the big wholesale supplier sites.. about £300 on there too.. I'd say the eBay guy IS being ripped off by his supplier.. but trying to trick people to think this is genuine... I'd love to see how many he's sold!! (whether it's 1 or 2!

If this was about £100 I'd probably buy it should it 'work' and do the job, but £400... many aftermarket solutions offering every up-to-date feature under the sun today before even considering that unit unfortunately. If only it were easy and possible to retrofit a more up-to-date Android tablet inside it, then it'd be a different story!

Hope nobody on here has bought one as it does look a bit shocking :eek:

Not sure where you got Android 4.0 from, I read Win CE 6.0 in the blurb.

If I read it correctly, it does not appear to come with any nav system installed, you have to sort your own out, so extra expense there. Research what can be got before parting with any money.

All the way from Hong Kong? A normal aftermarket stereo and a TomTom work for half the price. Or a full double-DIN nav unit from JVC or similar would be better, but twice the price.

Then when you replace the car, it goes with it.

IMG_1470732737.633708.jpg

If you add the cost of surround, wiring adapters for steering wheel controls and gps receiver, this comes in at less than £500. I've not got the sat navy option yet

Back