Panda power assisted steering light

Currently reading:
Panda power assisted steering light

PL18

I have a faithful 2009 Panda Dynamic Eco and a couple of months ago the power assisted warning light came on but then the next day it didn't. I have driven many miles since then and it never came on again...until yesterday. I have not used the car today but will be driving tomorrow. I spoke to the mechanic I use and he decided to do a diagnostic test on it and when he brought the car back he said the only fault was the torque sensor and it needed to be replaced at a cost of £600. I have read up on previous posts and most say the steering goes heavy when this warning light comes on but this definitely wasn't the case with my car. I really don't want to fork out £600 unless it is really necessary. Some other posts mention it could be the battery as it takes a lot of power but surely if it was the battery the diagnostic test wouldn't flag up about the torque sensor? I have no idea. Any advice would be welcome.

I have a faithful 2009 Panda Dynamic Eco and a couple of months ago the power assisted warning light came on but then the next day it didn't. I have driven many miles since then and it never came on again...until yesterday. I have not used the car today but will be driving tomorrow. I spoke to the mechanic I use and he decided to do a diagnostic test on it and when he brought the car back he said the only fault was the torque sensor and it needed to be replaced at a cost of £600. I have read up on previous posts and most say the steering goes heavy when this warning light comes on but this definitely wasn't the case with my car. I really don't want to fork out £600 unless it is really necessary. Some other posts mention it could be the battery as it takes a lot of power but surely if it was the battery the diagnostic test wouldn't flag up about the torque sensor? I have no idea. Any advice would be welcome.
Hi, it's usually nothing to worry about, it's very very common, more so in winter.
If you haven't drove the car for a couple of days and when you did last drive it and had your lights, fan heater and probably wipers on all that's happened is the system has detected a small voltage drop from the battery, if the car started OK it's nothing. The system just picks up a 'fleeting error' message and displays the red steering wheel sign to let you know its detected the voltage.
Either take it for a drive for 20 minutes with lights/heater and wipers off (conditions permitted obs) or give the battery a charge for a couple of hours or better still put a smart charger on it overnight if poss

Hi, it's usually nothing to worry about, it's very very common, more so in winter.
If you haven't drove the car for a couple of days and when you did last drive it and had your lights, fan heater and probably wipers on all that's happened is the system has detected a small voltage drop from the battery, if the car started OK it's nothing. The system just picks up a 'fleeting error' message and displays the red steering wheel sign to let you know its detected the voltage.
Either take it for a drive for 20 minutes with lights/heater and wipers off (conditions permitted obs) or give the battery a charge for a couple of hours or better still put a smart charger on it overnight if poss
thank you so much for your reply to my question last night. I started my car up this morning & the warning light was on. I took myself out for a good drive and the light went off. Am I right to assume it could be to do with the battery? This I know can cause it to come on but my mechanic said it flagged up the problem with the torque sensor. Obviously I don't want to pay out £600 if it's not necessary. Maybe I should get the battery power checked??

thank you so much for your reply to my question last night. I started my car up this morning & the warning light was on. I took myself out for a good drive and the light went off. Am I right to assume it could be to do with the battery? This I know can cause it to come on but my mechanic said it flagged up the problem with the torque sensor. Obviously I don't want to pay out £600 if it's not necessary. Maybe I should get the battery power checked??
Hi, can't rule out an electric steering failure but 99% of the time it's the battery that's failing or just needs a good charge, the fact that the light has gone out now and the steering is fine would suggest just the battery, if the electric steering itself was faulty the light would remain on..
How old is the battery? Have you given it a good charge overnight? I would get the battery tested to see if its in good health first, don't get buying a battery for the sake of it, both our pandas had the steering light on this past few days for a short time, both were not used for three days beforehand, both went off and stayed off after a few miles.
It happens in winter with lights on, heater on, wipers on etc. The owners handbook says this light can come on for a number of 'abnormalities' ie not just the actual steering but when the car has detected a voltage drop etc.
First thing to do is get the battery tested but being as your light has gone out after a short drive I personally would not bother

thank you again for replying. I gave my car a pretty good run today & the warning light didn't come on at all. When I got home I looked at the battery (which incidentally doesn't look great). I couldn't see a date anywhere, not the top nor the sides. It showed a serial number of 12235212 and possibly Yuasa model number AA4001. I will definitely be getting the battery tested this week. Thank you so much for your help

Popitinpete I had my car battery checked yesterday. It appears it's not that causing the problem with the warning light. The reading was 74% and the guy told me that was fine. The warning light hasn't been on for several days and I took the car for two runs today, totalling close on 90 miles. I'm just going to monitor it over the next few days/weeks. Really did appreciate your replies​

Popitinpete I had my car battery checked yesterday. It appears it's not that causing the problem with the warning light. The reading was 74% and the guy told me that was fine. The warning light hasn't been on for several days and I took the car for two runs today, totalling close on 90 miles. I'm just going to monitor it over the next few days/weeks. Really did appreciate your replies​

Hi, no worries glad I could help but more importantly glad its sorted, it's just something they do. My two did it last week, went off by themselves not been back on since. It's just the system has noticed a slight voltage drop, it happens this time of year with heater and lights and rear screen demister on. Drive safe 👍🏼

Back