General Panda petrol door

Currently reading:
General Panda petrol door

With my alarm, I have set my doors to lock just after I switch on the ignition (and open when I switch off the engine). None of this waiting for them to lock when I drive off malarky for me! :p

Oh and mine's a Dynamic, not an Eleganza...

Last edited:
After market (Toad) but I really wouldn't recommend it... It does have it's good points like locking the doors for me, but mine was the first Panda in the UK to have one fitted and the on-board computer doesn't like it. I've had loads of trouble with it mis-firing :(. One afternoon a few months back, I ended up having to disconnect the car battery as the alarm went off (for no reason at all) and wouldn't respond to the remote, the spare remote or the manual over-ride to stop it. I almost had it removed that night... It's been behaving since then though.

With my alarm, I have set my doors to lock just after I switch on the ignition (and open when I switch off the engine). None of this waiting for them to lock when I drive off malarky for me! :p

Do they automatically relock once you move off? Only ask, as I'd find it quite annoying in the winter months where you start the car and leave it running while you scrape off the ice from the windows if it then didn't relock once you got moving?

Chris

After market (Toad) but I really wouldn't recommend it... It does have it's good points like locking the doors for me, but mine was the first Panda in the UK to have one fitted and the on-board computer doesn't like it. I've had loads of trouble with it mis-firing :(. One afternoon a few months back, I ended up having to disconnect the car battery as the alarm went off (for no reason at all) and wouldn't respond to the remote, the spare remote or the manual over-ride to stop it. I almost had it removed that night... It's been behaving since then though.

So you've had it connected upto the computer then:confused:

Why's that? Seems like your luck to have had only one belly ache with it, lol.

All I'd say about aftermarket locking systems is do they have an the ability to unlock the doors in the event of an accident? If you (and let's hope it doesn't happen) end up on your roof in a field, will you be able to get out; and, more importantly, will any first on the scene types be able to get in if you're unconscious?

Factory systems should take a feed of the SRS sensors or such like - I'm not sure if cheaper cars do though.

Ben

Yes the doors unlock as soon as the engine switches off.
But does it recognise slamming it into a tree and being unconscious as 'turning the engine off'? I'd want to know there's an inertia switch somewhere looking out for me that will unlock the doors if it detects such a situation.

Ben

But does it recognise slamming it into a tree and being unconscious as 'turning the engine off'? I'd want to know there's an inertia switch somewhere looking out for me that will unlock the doors if it detects such a situation.

Ben

I know new car with standard fit systems like that unlock the doors and activate hazzard lights in the event of a switch, but after market I very much doubt, I know mine dosen't:eek:

But in a crash like that hopefully someone will smash the window to get you out, if it's not already smashed.

And with the mk3 Panda's the door locks are on the handles and unlock when you pull them luckily:)

Jon.

Back