General Panda loss of power after cambelt change

Currently reading:
General Panda loss of power after cambelt change

greypanda

Hi guys, new member here.

Just had a cambelt and water pump change on my 2012 Panda (70k miles) and since then it loses power at 60mph+, goes into idle mode and the check engine light comes on. Not ideal when on a dual carriageway!

I’ve been back to the garage three times. Each time they say the timings have been reset and it’s ready to go... but the issue happens every time I pick it up then start driving home. Just taken it back to the garage now... :mad:

It ran perfectly normal before, never had an issue with it.

Can anyone shed some light on this please?

Phonic wheel relearn is the most likely, simple and quick.

This involves plugging in a computer, either a Fiat dealer (not a good option), or MultiECUscan (MES) and with engine warm, running a quick few high revs after prodding the relearn option.

With a new belt, the crank and cam are slightly out of sync from what they were with teh old, slightly stretched belt, so the car needs to be reset. Without the reset, as the revs rise, it gets upset.

Other possibility would be the VVT (Variable valve timing) is no longer operating. Possible they damaged it, but less likely than just a phonic relearn.

Spend a little time on these forums using the search function on the green bar above. Look for phonic wheel, and also for MES.

State where you are, there may be a member on here nearby with MES who can do the relearn for you.

When the same 'timing ' change is sensed on a grande(non VVT version).. it just flashes the engine light..

NOT a triggering of 'limp home ' mode

If it is truly triggering limp home.. there will be a stored record of the fault the ECU has seen

All of this can be checked over when plugged in ;)

Where are you based?

Charlie: near the M4

Last edited:
Back