General Panda in group test in today's AutoCAR

Currently reading:
General Panda in group test in today's AutoCAR

Trefor

Panda 1.2 versus new Vauxhall Agila, Renault Twingo and Hyundai i10.

Panda vvvv neary wins, but cheaper price of Hyundai means it pips it to the finish.

Good show for the baby Panda, esp. considering the others are brand new designs.

Cool :) v good result for Hyundai / Kia as the i10 is a heavily revised Picanto. In Europe you can get the Picanto/i10 with a 1.1 litre 3cyl CRD diesel!!! Apparently it goes like hell :)

Fortunately for Fiat the Panda still wins hands down on heritage, innovative design and classless image.

JON

Hyundai wins on list price, but surely Autocar are aware of people like Fiatsupasaver; they're currently listing the 1.2 Dynamic Aircon at £5995. Bet there are no real discounts to be had on the Hyundai...

Not read the article, but test drove the Twingo and can say that its nothing special, but I love the price, and deal of the i10. Its nothing special to look at the but idea of a auto for £7800 with aircon and everything else plus a 5 year unlimited milage warrenty (can't spell today:eek:) wins it for me.

The I don't know much about the new Picanto, but if like old, is a nice car, but somethings about it I don't like. Think it doesn't feel modern enough.:confused:

The ultimate answer, at the end of the day, is that the Panda looks good and cool, not like a blob produced in an Asian factory to make money in the European market.
Forget the comments of the motoring press. Let your heart decide on the shape of your car, follow your heart and drive your Panda with pride.

And so say all of us. I love the Panda it's unique and as you say Doc, it is stylish unlike the other euro blobs. The new fiesta looks euro blobish. The Corsa looks dreadful, in particular the back end. The Panda is original and different and is easy to drive and live with. I hopr they don't bugger it up if they do a makeover ;)

I actually quite like the look of the Corsa, but mainly because it owes more than a stylistic nod and a wink to the Lancia Ypsillon, which in turn is a modern interpretation of the Lancia Appia (or Aprilia, can't remember which)from the '50s. Styling will always be in the eye of the beholder, but as I look at different classes of cars, the Italians, to my eyes, are the best looking in their group. FIAT 500 v Twingo v Mini v KA. GP v Clio v Corsa v Fiesta v Polo. Bravo v Focus v Golf v Megane v C4 (possibly a contender). I think you get my drift.

I must be in a minority as I couldn't really care less what my car looks like or what badges it wears - after all I wouldn't own a Panda if I did :D It seems that most journalists have an agenda of sorts when reviewing them, but my main criteria for buying a car is down to is it good to drive and do I like spending time in the driver's seat. If I don't then the car could be the best made, most reliable or most stylish, but it's not going to be fit for my purpose and I'll be wishing I'd bought something else ;)

Will be interesting to see if Hyundai release a hot i10.... :D

Chris

Last edited:
Back