Technical Panda hard suspension

Currently reading:
Technical Panda hard suspension

nope still don't get it

The left and right wheels are still connected by the same torsion beam as in the left rear wheel hits a pot hole

the difference in the springs in the panda (1.2) 3.39 Kg per mm deflection vs the 500 (1.2) 2.88 Kg per mm which i make at 17%

here's a standard panda unloaded low fuel

and one person in the back and without fuel. which would add another 30 kilos

already very close to the bump stop without fuel do you really want to put softer springs on

Softer springs equals increase body roll

Softer springs equal more time hitting the bump stops. the 500 is designed to ride on the harder bump stops

The negatives out way the positives in my opinion

of course I could be missing something

quote from here

Left side view of the rear torsion beam axle. Notice the orange elastomer bump stop. More expensive and higher tech than a traditional rubber bump stop, the elastomer bump stop is used as a spring medium and allows the springs to be softer for a better ride when lightly loaded.. They come into play when the car is heavily loaded or hits a large bump, progressively cushioning the impact and again helping the ride.

one person no fuel.jpeg
unloaded.jpeg

its not something i could recommend especially on an open forum
I'd agree - I'm not recommending it either. I mention it only because a) I'm responding to someone who's done this before and documented doing so on this forum and b) using springs not designed for the beam is perhaps an even worse idea.

I suspect this works OK in normal relaxed driving, but when pushed to the limit, there's no way of knowing how the car is going to behave.

Your point about the insurance implications is well made and echoes what I've previously said on the subject. If you're unfortunate enough to be involved in an accident in which someone was killed or seriously injured, having a police vehicle inspector crawling over your car afterwards is somewhere you definitely don't want to be. If they found modifications which were deemed to have invalidated your insurance, then causing death whilst driving uninsured is a serious offence in its own right, with the possibility of a significant custodial sentence.

The main reason folks were fitting 500 beams to Pandas was the then lack of availability of affordable replacements; now that aftermarket parts are available, that reason is history.

Last edited:
The main reason for fitting the 500 axle was lack of parts. An extremely signifiant side effect was better ride and handling from a straight swap part. The car is significantly nicer to ride in than my 100HP even with its softer rear springs.

Back