Technical Panda Cross (2017) - raising the ride height

Currently reading:
Technical Panda Cross (2017) - raising the ride height

alastairp

Good day all,

I've recently purchased a second-hand Panda Cross (2017 model; petrol engine) so that I can conduct more field research (I'm a botanist in South Africa).

I have to say I've been blown away by what this little vehicle can do. Terrible farm roads, steep inclines, etc. etc. I've only had to turn back once going through a dry river bed with really big rocks...

However, I'd really like to raise the ride height, as I think it will make the world of difference as I'd be closer to the farmers' vehicles in height and so wouldn't have to clear the road as often as I do already (of loose rocks etc.).

Below are the options I've seen.

Larger tyres: I've seen that Alan D. suggested increasing the ride height by fitting 155/80 tyres in this thread (ok ​— as new subscriber, I'm not allowed to post the link..:( ).

Spacers: In the same thread, there is a discussion about spacers under the spring (in short, 10 mm suggested, >=20 mm raises concerns), and mosfidelity discusses adding 20 mm to his 4x4 (uncertain if it is a Cross or standard 4x4) in a Fiat Forum thread; but they warn that there is some wheel rub on the plastic.

I have sourced two potential suppliers of spacers:
Prometeo and Spaccer.

So here are my questions :):

1) Does the 155/80 tyre option apply to the Panda Cross? Has anyone tried it and have results to report?

2a) Anyone installed the spacers from the companies above: were they worth it?

2b) Anyone installed spacers from other companies?

3) Any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance for any sage words of wisdom,
Cheers,
Alastair

Thanks R1NGA,

I have made contact and have prices from Prometeo. Looks fantastic.

Please excuse my ignorance, but which model is the "4x4TA"? I assume that's not the Cross...

What other goodies do you suggest on the Prometeo website?

Thanks again,
Cheers,
Alastair

Just a note for others interested in raising their ride height with the Prometeo product ​— you need to ask for the "Lifting Kit", not "Wheel Spacers". I picked up the term "spacer" somewhere else on the thread, and it almost led to a very expensive mistake, as the wheel spacers make the tires sit further out from the car, i.e. horizontally stick out rather than raising the car.

There are two kits for the Panda 4x4: 2003 to 2012 it is model 169 and from 2012 to 2021 it is model 139 (that's the Prometeo model kit number). I'm still trying figure out if the model 139 can be put on the Panda Cross.

(extra FYI both kit prices are 155 euros incl. vat and shipping).

Has anyone installed the Prometeo Lifting Kit No 139 to a Panda Cross?

Thanks,
Alastair

Hi Alastair

I have a MY 16 Cross TA and had a look on their website with the link you provided, thank you

I also noted they did a central prop shaft bash guard too, that looked really well engineered

I don’t really need to lift mine at the moment though but it would be good to see what the end result looks like, as the pot holes over here in Wales are getting deeper and deeper by the week

Cheers

Last edited:
Hi Alastair

…I also noted they did a central prop shaft bash guard too, that looked really well engineered
They do - but there is already a pretty substantial guard there, fitted by Fiat and which seems to do the job and last well too (unlike the dump guard that tends to rust), so not wuite sure what benefits their version offers?

I’ll take a look next time I’m under the car, TBH I hadn’t noticed a central bash guard.

I recently replaced the sump guard bolts with Stainless Steel ones, in preparation of removing the Sump Guard fo give it a rub down and re-paint

Good luck with your little project, I love my little Twin Air Cross, just need some North Wales Snow to test it in

Hi DuraAce,

Thankfully rust isn't a big issue in my neck of the woods (<500 mm of rain a year).

I'm super impressed with the solid bash guard mounted under the engine.

Where did you find the central prop shaft bash guard? I find the prometeomeccanica.it website impossible to navigate. I may just be interested in that :)

Cheers,
Alastair

What a lovely way of saying their website is rubbish : )

I stumbled on the central prop bash guard by chance for Models 169 and 139, I think ours is the 139

It’s known as a - Riparo Centrale 4x4

I can’t post URL as I haven’t posted enough on the Forum

I hope that helps : )

What a lovely way of saying their website is rubbish : )

I stumbled on the central prop bash guard by chance for Models 169 and 139, I think ours is the 139

It’s known as a - Riparo Centrale 4x4

I can’t post URL as I haven’t posted enough on the Forum

I hope that helps : )

Ours is actually the 312, although that was sometimes referred to as the 319, and they then seem to have got that the wrong way round.

You might make out the original factory-fit centre diff guard in the photo here (taken earlier in the year to show the repainted main sump guard). I assume their stainless alternative actually mounts to the same bolt holes? The link is here http://www.prometeomeccanica.it/panda_new_4x4_ripcentr.html

Attachments

• IMG_4496.jpeg
    IMG_4496.jpeg
    9 MB · Views: 45
Last edited:
I need to remove my sump guard ASAP and get it looking like yours, I have shiny bolts though : )

I’ll try and take a proper look at the Center guard at the same time

I need to remove my sump guard ASAP and get it looking like yours, I have shiny bolts though : )

I’ll try and take a proper look at the Center guard at the same time

I hadn't realised how bad mine was, until a previous thread here prompted me to look. I have bought some stainless bolts and washers too, but not got round to putting them in. The original bolts are quite nice in that the washers are captive. I couldn't find anything like that in stainless, so have standard, loose (and loseable) washers instead.

Here's the earlier thread https://www.fiatforum.com/panda-iii/486312-rusty-sump-guard-2.html?p=4588262

Last edited:
Yes they are a handy one piece bolt washer, I already had some Allen key bolts and a penny type washer, so I used them with a little assembly paste ( like a grease )

Yours looks much better than mine, I think I read a similar post about how easily they rust

Back