General panda 4x4 as everyday car??

Currently reading:
General panda 4x4 as everyday car??

Mattpitts74

Hi,

This is my first post here, so sorry for all the questions?

I friend had a 4x4 panda around 15 year ago and we used to take it off in the woods and on the farm and it was a great car offroad. In my current job having an off road car would be great.

I hadn't realised until I started looking that these cars have become a bit sort after, but it would be nice to own a car that's not going to keep dropping in value if i look after it.

1. So my questions are what do people think about having a classic panda 4x4 as an everyday vehicle?

2. What sort of money would I be expecting to pay for one in decent condition that isn't a massive restoration project?

3. Is the much of a difference between the Sisley or the regular 4x4?

4. Is it worth looking in Europe for an import?

I notice one on ebay at the moment for £1900, is that expensive?

Any advice would be much apprecaited.

Welcome to the forum! I have a Fiat Panda Parade which isn't 4 x 4 but I can try to answer your questions.

1-Most of us use our pandas as everyday vehicles, they are very capable.

2-I don't really know on this one

3-The sisley is a special edition which came with extra trim badges, a different dashboard and I believe metallic paint. I think it was all cosmetic things though.

4-I personally wouldn't want a european import as I dont like LHD, and I have heard stories about pandas being brought back from the alps only to find that they are extremely rusty, but If you got a good one you liked and plenty of photos and videos from the seller then I dont see a problem, thought not sure on the procedure for importing.

5-It seems a bit expensive to me, but its entirely objective.

I run a 1987 4x4 as everyday transport, so here goes:
1. don't expect modern standards of braking, safety features or creature comforts. It is a basic, elderly design that does exactly what it says on the tin. Rust will be your biggest issue by now, routine maintenance is simple and cheap enough. Winter tyres need to be sourced from mytyres - no one stocks them in the UK anymore. Economy isn't great - 37mpg ish. Motorways are tolerated by the car but dreaded by the driver's eardrums. Otherwise, it's a fine piece of kit for daily transport.
2. Getting expensive - I'm not sure if I'm over estimating prices, but I think £2000 is not out of order for a decent example. Restoration projects may come cheaper but ultimately will cost an awful lot more.
3.Trim and public perception - the basic 4x4 will do you just as well.
4. Possibly, but do bear in mind that it will be LHD and prices in Italy are not particularly low. can't speak for other markets as I haven't looked.

The one on e-bay from the limited pictures looks OK judging from the limited photos - best thing to do is arrange to view. If it is fine then i dont feel that it is particularly overpriced.

I'd sound a note of caution on using one everyday. Can you? Well yes its a car but if your used to modern cars i'd try one first, they are not refined by modern standards. Also some of the parts for UK spec 4x4s are hard to source. The steel fuel tanks are unobtainable. And beware of rust. They rust in numerous locations. The back of the sills is a particularly nasty spot.

Don't want to put you off, they can be great fun to drive (y)

Hi,

This is my first post here, so sorry for all the questions?

I friend had a 4x4 panda around 15 year ago and we used to take it off in the woods and on the farm and it was a great car offroad. In my current job having an off road car would be great.

I hadn't realised until I started looking that these cars have become a bit sort after, but it would be nice to own a car that's not going to keep dropping in value if i look after it.

1. So my questions are what do people think about having a classic panda 4x4 as an everyday vehicle?

2. What sort of money would I be expecting to pay for one in decent condition that isn't a massive restoration project?

3. Is the much of a difference between the Sisley or the regular 4x4?

4. Is it worth looking in Europe for an import?

I notice one on ebay at the moment for £1900, is that expensive?

Any advice would be much apprecaited.

Hello & welcome :wave:

You will get different opinions, particularly on values, but the best 4x4's are selling for £4000 so everything else needs to bear that in mind.

For what it's worth, my view is:

1. Definitely! Although I have a much newer car available I nearly always use a Panda, and even Sorned the Abarth over winter one year as I had 2 Panda's available - they ran perfectly as expected.

2. Somewhere around £2000 probably. Look in the £1500-£2500 bracket for a decent one, though there have been examples of real projects going in this bracket so be careful.

3. Yes & no. Not in terms of mechanicals or ability. Yes it's a nicer looking car with better trim (IMO) - things like met paint, badging & logos on the seats, nicer materials & inclinometer. Generally people will pay a premium for a Sisley so it will cost a bit more & be worth a bit more.

4. No - they can be more expensive in Italy for example, though they were sold longer if you want a newer one with lhd.

5. We don't have good enough pics to judge. Probably not too much if it's a decent one though - again you'll get different opinions as shown in the threads about Ebay ones (that one has a thread too I think).

(y)

personally, i think they are an awesome car to have. mine was and will be again soon become my daily driving car.

i never have issues with motorway speeds.. mine does 80.. though i dont take it to that often.

yes true rust is a thing you'll need to look out for. this is the case with about all cars of this age though. the uk is a hell of a climate for anything metal.

i have the sisley myself. the only difference with it and a standard 4x4 is it has sisley logos, sisley only interior and an inclinometer. which you can pick up off ebay real cheap. all mechanicals are completely the same as the standard 4x4.

engine wise, it is pretty much bomb proof.. not much can destroy them. its a non interface engine so if the timing belt should snap then no damage gets done, the head gasket is known to go on these engines should it ever over heat but its such an easy job to change anybody could do it.

electronics can sometimes go a bit funny but 99% of the time its just a earth not connecting right. 5 min fix.

as a rule, the breaks take more pushing than a modern car. the steering will keep you fit. its aircon will work without the engine running (manual wind down windows) and the vehicle is so safe they did not even need to fit airbags.

if you know how to work a choke, then you will not have any issues with a <1993 panda. (over 1993 they were injected so no choke)

fiat pandas have awesome heaters.. really. soon as i get down the street i have warm air coming through.

you will not be disappointed with the 4x4 system.. its a total dream on snow and ice.

visibility is fantastic. park it anywhere.

fuel economy is not all that bad for me. my sisley gets around 43 MPG. for a 80's/90's 4x4 that is awesome!

there is one downside to owning a fiat panda.. and all of us on here have this issue.
One is never enough!

also waves of happiness will wash over you when driving one.. dont worry that is normal. we all get it.

all in all.. yeah its a fantastic car.. i cant see me ever selling mine.

Such a car was used every day in the 80's or 90's.......a model T ford was used every day in the 30's.....I wonder if people will be asking 25 years from now about the cars we drive at this time??

Everyone has been spot on with the advise... Welcome to the forum..(y)

One thing is for sure, and that is any problems you may have with the car would be sorted on here by knowledge and helpfulness.

Tbh, a 2wd is very good off road and in the snow and would be half the price...just doesn't have the 4x4 badge..

Last edited:
my driving style is the most efficient i can make it. i coast when i can. if no one is behind me i will try and play a game where i see if i can make it to traffic lights or a junction on momentum alone. driving and not being in a rush to get anywhere helps a lot.

also Talon is tuned to be very clean. the MOT guy said that it was one of the cleanest non cat cars he has MOTed.

Hello and welcome to the forum!

Good luck with your search for a 4x4, I drive mine every day including the weekends and the only time it goes wrong is through user error (normally driving through water too fast - break out the WD40!)

Apart from rust, they are brilliant cars and if you keep on top of servicing and bodywork they will keep you right.

:ROFLMAO:

Mine does 43 too - oh no, hang on 34 isn't it (see the fuelly thing below). I have seen high 30's when on an enforced trundle somewhere following people. Otherwise it's what you see - isn't it normal to drive everywhere flat out?? :confused:

Ha ha yes, flat to the mat! Been a while since I kept a note, but when I did I forever got around 30.
However this meets with my theory that an interesting car should do no more than 30mpg :devil: :cry:

Last edited:
I always got about 45mpg when I kept track, quite pleased until I realised how far my speedo over read, probably equates to about 40 in real life. Clearly this means the Panda is at its most efficient at an indicated 80mph:devil: (70 in real terms)
Still way better than my petroholic Peugeot can manage:(

Last edited:
Having a 750 means driving everywhere flat out equals about a minimum of 40mpg, if you drive around town without welding your foot to the floor you can easily get 45. Stick to 60 on the motorway and can get 47mpg ish depending on how many hills you encounter. Unfortunately most of the time I've owned Char' she has very much been a foot to the floor car, maybe this is why the throttle cable has broken? :rolleyes:

Having a 750 means driving everywhere flat out equals about a minimum of 40mpg, if you drive around town without welding your foot to the floor you can easily get 45. Stick to 60 on the motorway and can get 47mpg ish depending on how many hills you encounter. Unfortunately most of the time I've owned Char' she has very much been a foot to the floor car, maybe this is why the throttle cable has broken? :rolleyes:

I've only just started using fuelly so I'm waiting to see how much I'm getting. I know it must be good though! I'm a pretty frugal driver though to be fair.

Pfft, less than 50MPG in Vicky and I'm not a happy bunny :p

I got 52MPG once but I didn't really track it very often. I just know I could get further on £10 of petrol than my silly Renault can.
French cars, daft idea!
(insert 'allo 'allo style accent here) 'Youuu stupid people! If you want economy why aren't you driving a diesel?:doh:'

Last edited:
French cars, daft idea!
(insert 'allo 'allo style accent here) 'Youuu stupid people! If you want economy why aren't you driving a diesel?:doh:'
Didn't buy it for economy really though, because then I'd own a boring French car with a boring engine. Instead I have a boring French car with a moderately interesting turbo charged petrol engine :D

Back