20220124_165424.jpg

Panda 2012+ Panda 312 Cross, Full Build Story

Introduction

Ok i have begun the panda build.
things to install
LED front headlights
3cm spring lift kit ( measure OEM springs to for possible order of custom springs and shocks)
Cold air intake
Blow off valve
Cooper discovery tyres
wheels spacer front and rear
Custom tune.

Possible upgrades
Downpipe
Enlarged turbo ( 130hp)
custom Stainless steel exhaust.

I have installed the blow off valve today, ( its from Bonalume in italy)
and have prepared the location for my cold air intake. I am waiting for the Ram air filter to arrive on monday.
I have moved the engine water container forward using a new stainless steel bracket.
The new filter should fit perfectly up high and away from the heat of the engine ,like in some other versions.

What i have arriving in the next fdew weeks is the tyres and suspension spacers and wheels spacers..
Depending on the lift and the ride, i will decide to either keep it or order custom air shocks.. i will see how it goes.

I have attached some photos and videos.

20220128_093104.jpg20220128_100656.jpg20220128_100704.jpg20220128_100708.jpg20220128_100847.jpg
Not really, just a snorkel in front of the battery.
Yea, but that’s drawing cold air in from ahead of the car. Although the filter sits on top of the engine, all the air going through it comes through that ‘snorkel’. Each revolution of the engine draws 0.45 litres of air (the volume of one cylinder of the 0.9 litre engine). So at 1500 rpm that’s pulling nearly 700 litres of air through the filter every minute. That means the air in the filter box will never get a chance to become warmed by the engine? Conversely, if instead that air is drawn from the back of the engine bay it will be warmer than air from the front of the car owing to all the ‘hot stuff’ under the bonnet (Unless the plan is to cut a hole in the bonnet?)

Last edited:
Performance is irrelevant in stop-go traffic. However, warmer incoming air (due to engine heat-soaking the airbox) would actually improve fuel consumption so what's not to like?

Last edited:
I'm always afraid that people buy an expensive mushroom filter that sucks hot air and ruìns performance when they say they're gonna upgrade to a cold air intake...

gr J

I thought the same , but ALL factory intakes are restrictive. My Tuner's first recommendation is a pod filter, with a larger diameter intake. The twin air connects a 70mm pipe to a inbuilt filter housing that sits on the engine bay, this then funnels to the front of the car with a tiny 50mm pipe. The Italian tuner near me said this is the first thing to replace. ( i prefer to trust the professionals with actual dyno results ). I then have the option for increased turbo impeller, Downpipe ( unrestricted) full exhaust, and he said i can reach 130hp. Anyway i love the sound of the intake with a short run pod filter.

I ended up moving the water resevoir back to oem. I just used one 45 degree 70mm diameter tubing. and a 70mm ram air filter. It fit snug as a bug. Sounds amazing. Next week a few more parts will arrive. I hope to have it at the tuners in a few weeks. i am still undecided Whether i upgrade the turbo and install a downpipe..

Attachments

• 20220202_141742.jpg
    20220202_141742.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 88
  • 20220202_141750.jpg
    20220202_141750.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 85
  • 20220202_142958.jpg
    20220202_142958.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 85
here is a video after install.

Im glad I already have my Fiesta for whooshy noises otherwise I would be doing this. :p
Have you fitted a duct at all from the front bumper area? Cool to see someone try this regardless of power loss/gain.

Im glad I already have my Fiesta for whooshy noises otherwise I would be doing this. :p
Have you fitted a duct at all from the front bumper area? Cool to see someone try this regardless of power loss/gain.
i was thinking to try find some flexi tube and run it through to the side of the intercooler. Maybe i might give it a try.

Installed the LED' headlights. I had to readjust the headlight beam using the 6mm hex screws behind the light fittings. I took it for a drive yesterday night. Amazing difference, the OEM headlights are horrible.

Attachments

• 20220202_175301.jpg
    20220202_175301.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 87
  • 20220202_175306.jpg
    20220202_175306.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 87
I have ordered the Suspension spacer kit and wheel spacers. they should arrive next week. My Cooper discovery tyres should arrive next week also... its going to look awesome.. I searched online for a hew panda cross with the same size tyres.. I noticed that the rear and front side plastics had to be cut allitle so the tyres fit... Lets see what happens.. i am sure i have to modify as the tyres i am purchasing are massive....Very excited
tyres ive purchased are
4 x Cooper Discoverer A / T3 Sport 2 215/80 R15 102T 3PMSF
wish me luck

Last edited:
I'm enjoying this thread. I've got the exact same car, even the same colour! I've thought about a remap and maybe improve the headlights with better bulbs too.

Can I ask what bulbs those are and are they road legal? Any before after shots of the beam pattern? Also keen to hear your thoughts on remap drivability and performance once you've had it. There's no "real world" info out there that I can find for twin air remaps on a panda.

When my warranty is up mine might be well be going for a visit to the tuner that looked after my old Focus ST500.

Back