Technical panda 2010 4x4 gearbox rattle

Currently reading:
Technical panda 2010 4x4 gearbox rattle

MalcolmK

Hi
Ive got a 2010 petrol 4x4 with the electronic rear diff.

This has gradually developed a rattle that seems to be coming from the front gearbox mostly at low speeds. I think it disappears when the rear wheels are driven. Its almost like an idler gear rattle. I think its something to do with gearbox where it sends the drive out to the rear wheels. its not coming from the rear. its most obvious at low speeds.

Any ideas/suggestions

thanks
Malcolm

Easy test for CV joints - drive on full lock and listen for clicking in the wheel. The inside wheel will be turned tightest so go around both ways.

Rattles from gearbox input bearings will sound when engine is idling in neutral. If the noise stops when you press the clutch pedal down - its gearbox. If the noise is worse with pedal down it's clutch.

Continuous tinkling rattle could be a clutch spring finger that's broken off.

Anything else rattling is something loose. Radiator can rattle if its rubber bush mounts are worn/missing.

Hi
thanks for the replies. Pretty sure its not CV joints because its not affected by steering angle/lock.
The noise only occurs when the car is moving. I will check later to see if it disappears when the car is moving and the clutch depressed.

I should say the noise is quiet low, almost inaudible when moving at speed above 30mph.

Does anybody know someone with gearbox experience that could listen to this. Preferably local (North Herts).

Or how much a suitable reconditioned gearbox may be for the 4x4 and how difficult it may be to change out.
Thanks

Malcolm

If it is the input shaft bearings, you should be able to hear the noise ticking over in neutral. Get someone to push the clutch pedal and listen for noises changes.

It could be a drive shaft universal joint. They tend to be noisy when unloaded, going quiet when power is applied.

Back