General Panda 100hp oil smell

Currently reading:
General Panda 100hp oil smell

Bit of an update today. Had a quick 20min run to the supermarket and back and as usual had the burning smell on reversing up onto our drive. Decided to open the bonnet and there was smoke. Not a great deal and within 30 secs or so it seemed to stop. Most appeared to be coming up from the left around the cambelt. Will have a better look tomorrow if we get a dry hour or two. Definitely not an exhaust gas problem though.

there's not much that side that's hot enough to make smoke

still sounds like this isn't connect properly

Attachments

• temp.jpeg
    temp.jpeg
    12 KB · Views: 37
The smaller pipe is all intact and connected as expected with no sign of any leakage. Need to look around the back of the engine block but no easy task.

Attachments

• 20200905_135038.jpg
    20200905_135038.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 45
A little bit of harder driving caused smoke again yesterday. Parked up and lifted bonnet leaving the engine running and white/grey smoke definitely more to the left hand side of the engine. Had a good 20 mins under the car today and the only place I can find any damp oil is on the photo. Photo taken looking up with cambelt on the right. Would this get that hot it would smoke? It would explain the smoke location. If there was a leak here would it not drip on to the ground. Nothing to see on the driveshaft gaiters and no evidence of any burnt oil along the exhaust. Thanks.

Attachments

• 20200910_092724.jpg
    20200910_092724.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 53
  • 20200910_092838.jpg
    20200910_092838.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 57
Been out a couple of times the past week and have seen that this shortlived smoke seems to be coming from beneath the air intake box. Unbolted that today and underneath you can see a stain around the bolt head in the photo. Could this be anything? Also noticed slightly damp dirty sticky oil above the exhaust manifold. All cleaned off now so will keep an eye on what happens next. Just out of interest does anybody know where to but or download a manual for this engine? I understand a 100hp manual does not exist. Thanks.

Attachments

• 20200917_124054.jpg
    20200917_124054.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 69
  • 20200917_124107.jpg
    20200917_124107.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 65
Round hed..or hex ?

Pretty sure they are just'caps'.. with a rubber seal underneath

Just wait a week.. see at what rate it reappears as oily..

If bad enough.. unscrew the relevant bolt.. wipe the area.. and seal..

Then apply a smear of liquid gasket and reassemble

Round hed..or hex ?

Pretty sure they are just'caps'.. with a rubber seal underneath

Just wait a week.. see at what rate it reappears as oily..

If bad enough.. unscrew the relevant bolt.. wipe the area.. and seal..

Then apply a smear of liquid gasket and reassemble

I am pretty sure you wouldn't get smoke if you poured a small amount of oil in that location.

Very little should come out from the head if you leave the oil filler off. The area in the photo is a couple of inches higher with mainly an airgap in between.

You do get a smell of oil in the cabin if its overheating due to low oil or coolant even though the coolant gauge might read right

If there isn't a crack in the airbox, the breather pipe is fine, the filler cap seals, overheating or running onto the exhaust. I have run out of ideas

Much like the car I wanted to bring this thread out of hibernation. Car stays on the drive over winter and the engine gets a 5 to 10 min run every week to keep charge in the battery. Time to get it back on the road now. Things seem to have progressed but not necessarily in a good way. Within that 10 min engine run I now readily have smoke. Hoping to attach a video showing the location. With the air box off it clearly comes from beneath the exhaust manifold cover. Any ideas on such easily produced smoke in that area? Many thanks. *Don't seem to be able to upload video so attached photo instead.

Attachments

• 20210112_114516(1).jpg
    20210112_114516(1).jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 60
My Panda 100hp had the same problem, smell of burnt oil in the interior. To cut a long story short, it turned out to bee a very slight leak from the oil filler cap.
I bought a brand new cap from Fiat, which would not fit right. So I only changed the rubber seal, problem fixed.

Have you checked the filler cap yet, I surely hope you have the same problem... with an easy fix:)

I forgot to write that the slightly leaking oil found its way to the exhaust manifold where it burnt with that typical smell as a result.

I did not see the cause, but my friendly garage pointed it out to mee after 1 minute.

Mine had an oil smell when the gear shift seal failed. It's at the top of the gearbox where the shifter shaft goes in.

The fix is quick. You will need a new seal and roll pin. Talk to Shop 4 Parts.

Take out the battery, Set gears to neutral. Disconnect gear shift cables. Remove top of gearbox. Knock out the roll pin take it apart fit seal reassemble and put it all back together. Mine hardly touched the gearbox oil level but the leak smelled of hot oil after a short drive.

I used Loctite 518 gasket replacement but you could also use RTV. There is no paper gasket.

Last edited:
Finally got an answer to this one. Local garage stripped the manifold heat shield and steam cleaned the cylinder head and manifold area. Left the car running and nothing. Took it out for a short uphill run and back and oil started to leak from the top centre stud for the manifold. Plan is to get the car back in, try and remove the stud and then replace using Loctite. Hopefully putting and end to the leak. Many thanks for all your replies.

Mine has at least one stud that goes all the way through but there are no leaks. Loctite might not work on hot and especially oily threads, but PTFE tape on the threads should sort it. Wrap it so the RH turning of the stud does not unwrap the tape.

Last edited:
instead of guessing

take the shield off and visibly check

its not a normal place for oil to leak on these engines

Finally got an answer to this one. Local garage stripped the manifold heat shield and steam cleaned the cylinder head and manifold area. Left the car running and nothing. Took it out for a short uphill run and back and oil started to leak from the top centre stud for the manifold. Plan is to get the car back in, try and remove the stud and then replace using Loctite. Hopefully putting and end to the leak. Many thanks for all your replies.

thanks for the update

Its the first I have heard of from here

somethings you couldn't predict. At least you got to the bottom of it.

Well done (y)

Just wanted to give a bit of closure to this thread. It's been a couple of months now since the work on the leaky stud and no issues whatsoever. Problem completely sorted. Hope it helps someone else in the future. Many thanks for all your contributions.

Back