General Panda 1000cl !986

Currently reading:
General Panda 1000cl !986

FIAT1000cl

Just Bought: Panda 1000cl 1986. All Help Appreciated!

Hello All,
Just bought a Panda 1000cl from 1986. 69000km on the clock. I'm looking to give it a very basic service myself before I drive it from France to Scotland at the end of the month. Any advice on must-do jobs would be very welcome. Also, I know I have to use Super 98 petrol (the one with least ethanol) with a lead replacement additive but which oil should I be using? Any maintenance tips to keep it running smoothly would be appreciated too. Lastly, if anyone has a handbook in English I'd be really grateful to see a copy. Thanks!

Last edited:
Re: Just Bought: Panda 1000cl 1986. All Help Appreciated!

Hello All,
Just bought a Panda 1000cl from 1986. 69000km on the clock. I'm looking to give it a very basic service myself before I drive it from France to Scotland at the end of the month. Any advice on must-do jobs would be very welcome. Also, I know I have to use Super 98 petrol (the one with least ethanol) with a lead replacement additive but which oil should I be using? Any maintenance tips to keep it running smoothly would be appreciated too. Lastly, if anyone has a handbook in English I'd be really grateful to see a copy. Thanks!

Should be able to use normal Unleaded fuel I believe as its a FIRE engine.

Should be able to use normal Unleaded fuel I believe as its a FIRE engine.

:yeahthat:

In fact the older 903cc engine is also ok with normal unleaded - I scanned a chart from the mid '80's somewhere. The 903cc said fine for unleaded but avoid long periods at high revs (I'd suggest that can safely be ignored, as no-one has ever had a problem with unleaded in any 903cc engined 127, Panda or Uno). The FIRE engines were designed to be run on unleaded from the outset. (y)

For the journey, check the tyres/oil/water, and off you go. :) I'd just use any standard 10W40 oil - I'm not a big believer in an expensive brand in a Panda - it won't make any difference, just change it regularly and use whatever is best value at the time (often Asda/Tesco/Morrisons do offers). You'll probably be able to see that I wouldn't worry about that journey - a well maintained Panda should have no trouble at all. (y)

ANY aluminium head has to have inserts - that are fine with unleaded..

it's the older cast iron heads that were potentially "soft" : - (

worth checking the level of gearbox oil really before such a long journey too..!!, ( and function of cooling fan..)

Charlie

ANY aluminium head has to have inserts - that are fine with unleaded..

it's the older cast iron heads that were potentially "soft" : - (

worth checking the level of gearbox oil really before such a long journey too..!!, ( and function of cooling fan..)

Charlie

There was a huge fuss about what could & couldn't run on unleaded back in the '80's as I know you will remember Charlie. One of my 127's (1049cc OHC "Brasil" engine) had an expensive £800 unleaded conversion (before I had it), the other hasn't and runs very happily on unleaded. They used to reckon that an engine would last 100000 miles anyway running on "lead memory" before it showed significant damage (which was then easy to fix anyway) - on the basis that I don't believe the 1049cc will ever have an issue, and the fact that I'm doing 500 miles a year, I reckon I'm safe for the best part of 200 years! ;)

I'd never think of checking gearbox oil - not even sure how you do it on a 1000CL, which shows how often I've had a problem.

Cooling fan is important (y) It becomes less necessary if you stick at a constant 80mph though, as the throughflow is sufficient :idea:

Cooling fan is important (y)

:yeahthat:

It'll be a bit far for us to come and assist.

14515525381_9869ba7294_k.jpg

I'd never think of checking gearbox oil - not even sure how you do it on a 1000CL, which shows how often I've had a problem.

our OSLO was VERY low mileage,:cool:
BUT the gearbox to CV seals were shot ( perished)..:eek:

and lots of gearoil was dribbling out.. unsure how low the level was , it was probably the most cautious 40 mile journey I've ever covered,
generally speaking with FIAT gearboxes,
once you've changed the engine oil.. try and get the vehicle back on the level,
and use the same allen key to undo the plug on front edge of gearbox
( under clutch arm),

the level SHOULD be about to dribble out.. personally,
I tend to use the longer end of the allen key as a "dipstick",= angle it downward - into the gearbox hole..and up to the "crank" ( 90') of the key,
withdraw,
SOME of the key should be oily..,

filling is done through the same hole.. so prepare for mess,
BUT as long as you see a level..that should do for now (y)

( just wary of a car dribbling away it's fluid, then being driven to where you've seen it..blissfuly unaware :eek:)

I'm sure the regulars on here will add / amend the process..;), maybe even find some photo's, :cool:

have a fun journey..!!, Charlie

We NEED pics please?

Back