General panda 1.3 multijet white smoke

Currently reading:
General panda 1.3 multijet white smoke

Car starts O.K. runs fine for two or three minutes then gets lumpy and emits white smoke. Smoke stops after half a mile 58000 on clock and sailed through M.O.T. last march. Any suggestions.

Last edited:
Don't know.

White smoke on a diesel could be unburnt diesel mist or water.

Why it starts okay. Fails for a few minutes. Then works fine again I have not come across before.

hi,John. Are you sure it's white smoke and not water vapour. When you are following a car when it's only just being started you will see white "smoke" coming out of the exhaust especially in the winter, it's water vapour. You say it gets lumpy, could be your car is still cold and you are in 1 too high a gear

Car starts O.K. runs fine for two or three minutes then gets lumpy and emits white smoke. Smoke stops after half a mile 58000 on clock and sailed through M.O.T. last march. Any suggestions.
Few questions to ask...
Down on power or struggling to accelerate like normal?
Any coolant loss?
Engine Management Light on?
Glow plug light flashing?
Any error codes? If not read them yet, worthwhile doing aside it could pinpoint exactly cause easily. (Cheapest method is friend with MultiECUScan and appropriate cable, or better yet, buy it yourself if you don't have it)

Have had both the symptoms but not in exact circumstances and at the same times. In my case it was an injector seal and a knackered glow plug, but was lumpy from start and occasional white smoke in traffic.

Hi , :)
I assume that is being driven,

if you just let it idle for 5 mins from a cold start..does it cut out.. will it restart instantly..??:confused:

need more info really;
any engine work done,
last fuel filter change, etc

Charlie

no error lights no loss of coolant once warm all seems ok Havent checked error codes, im looking for a good not too expensive code reader

Can I ask if the little screwhole that's roughly about halfway across the black plastic part below the front wipers has ever been sealed (lift the bonnet to look)? It may seem a daft question but if it hasn't, rainwater can get into the airbox below and cause white smoke, loss of acceleration and lumpy running till the engine shifts the water. It will run fine then. Usually will take a few hundred yards.

Can I ask if the little screwhole that's roughly about halfway across the black plastic part below the front wipers has ever been sealed (lift the bonnet to look)? It may seem a daft question but if it hasn't, rainwater can get into the airbox below and cause white smoke, loss of acceleration and lumpy running till the engine shifts the water. It will run fine then. Usually will take a few hundred yards.

MJ 'tastic there Smurf :D

https://www.fiatforum.com/panda/437...anda-multijet-common-problem-white-smoke.html

Good call WeeSmurf. Forgot about that old chestnut.
Even if already sealed, check your air filter is dry too. Doesn't take much damp in there to give wierd symptoms

Mine wasn't so cheap... some muppet managed to crack not just the cover but the side of the airbox too. Then used gaffer tape to "seal" it. Came off in 3 bits so had to buy a new one.... grrrr!
Obviously not a forum member or they would have sealed the screw up and avoided the water problem. Then again, I guess I wouldn't have got the car cheap if they had, so not all bad.

Back