Technical Panda 1,2 44kw Oil pressure failure

Currently reading:
Technical Panda 1,2 44kw Oil pressure failure

Krismar

I have a problem with my oil pressure, at least I think. Actually, its really cold in Estonia right now, the temperature drops below -30 C. This morning when I started my car the oil pressure warning light stayed on. I thought that it might have been just that the oli level was a bit lower, I added oil, but the light still stayed on. My question is that, what could be the problem and might it be involved with the cold?

Last edited:
I would be surprised if oil pump would work in those temperatures! We are talking -30c? If so I am pretty sure that is out of the operating range of the Panda. Don't use it because you are just causing damage to the engine with that light on.

Well the temperature drops below -30 during the night time, but on day time its around -15c. So you think that the problem could be the cold and its causing the oli pump not to work right? What could I do to use my car?
Would it be possible to use my car, if I heat the engine up in a warm garage?

An oil pump is a mechanical device driven off the crank normally. I'm not seeing why it wouldn't work as no doubt you've experienced these temperatures before.

It could be a faulty sensor. If the engine starts I'd say the oil pump ought to be working really. Not an expert on the 1.2 engine, but I've done loads with engines over the last 20+ years and have never known an oil pump to fail.

Unless you are using oil that doesn't work in those temperatures? I'm not sure really as this is not something I've ever experienced living in the UK as it just doesn't get that cold.

I guess you could start the engine and take the filler cap off on the cam cover and see if oil goes everywhere, that might give some indication it's working, but without an oil pressure gauge it's hard to know for sure.

Did the oil warning light go off after a given time? If so how long? Did you drive the car later and if so was the warning light on then?

Last edited:
I'm sorry trackdayqueen, I can't understand your first question, I'm not a native speaker. The light goes on when I turn the igniton key, after the engine starts the other lights go out, but the oil pressure light stays on. I drove the car about 15km, so about 10 miles. I got the engine warm, to the engine running temp, in the center of the cooling liquid temperature gauge, but the pressure ligth still did'nt go out.
I talked to my grampa, he thought that the low temperature may have caused an oil jam in the channels of the crankshaft, is it possible?
(I hope you understood the description, because I'm not common to the tecnical terminology)
The oli is 5w/40 according to the manual, full synthetic.

Last edited:
Well if you've driven 15km, then I'd say your oil pump is most likely to be working. But there could still be a problem with oil pressure. Either that or there is a problem with the sensor.

Might be a good idea to check the wire hasn't come off the oil pressure sensor. It could be as simple as that. Low temperatures and Italian wiring....

Also worth checking if there is an operating range for the oil you use in respect of low temperatures. If the oil is outside it's working temperature range (I have no idea if different oils have problems at extreme temperatures because I live in the UK and we just don't have that issue). If that was the case then your grampa could be right. Maybe if that is the case you need to use a different oil. But considering what your grampa is saying, once the engine has warmed up a bit then the problem should dissapear. I would expect the engine had warmed to operating temperature by the time you had driven 10 miles?

What I was saying in the first bit is that the crankshaft will directly drive the oil pump. Oil pumps are very simple in operation and hardly ever fail. I was saying that I have worked on engines for over 20 years and I have never known an oil pump to fail. Engines seize when there is a lack of oil or lack of oil pressure but not due to an oil pump failing. If your oil had turned to treacle it would though have put a lot more strain on the pump resulting in the warning light.

Thank you for quick response.
Well the engine did warm to operating temperature, so mostlikely the problem should be the wiring. I'll move the car into a warm garage and start finding the problem. Actully I have another question, where could the oil pressure sensor be located at?

I don't know the engine, but I would say check every sensor that looks like it is screwed into the block. Google for a picture/diagram.

Sorry I'm not any more help. We need someone who knows the engine well to comment.

i would think the oil pressure switch will be on the lower front of the engine next to the Oil filter

this pic is from my 1.2 8v Grande punto but i think the engine is the same.....

the other sensor next to it is the crank position sensor just so you know

oil pressure sw.JPG

Thank you guys
According to wikipedia the engines are the same.
I'll give you an overview, if something new happens.

The problem was the cold, I guess it caused an oil jam, or any other things. We put a heating fan under the engine and the problem was solved. I should change the oil if there should be any water condence in it and the filther too.
Thank you guys for the help :slayer:

i find it strange that Fiat only give one rating for engine oil my Previous Ford had a list of oils and the best one to use at a given temperature range perhapse talk to your local fiat dealer and see what oil they recommend if you pull the breather tube off the back of the engine

https://www.fiatforum.com/grande-punto-guides/262269-breather-hose-replacement-1-2-1-4-8v.html

check its not full of oil and water sludge (these engines do suffer with with in cold weather doing short journeys, (its not usually a sign of a failed head gasket in this case) if its full of what looks like Mayonnaise remove it fully and clean it out with a water based degreaser and the air box this way the engine can get rid of any moisture that accumulates

if you want to change your own oil

https://www.fiatforum.com/grande-punto-guides/210683-oil-change-1-2-8v.html

have a read of that (y)

Last edited:
Back