Technical Palio 1.2 8v headgasket_hunting_idle

Currently reading:
Technical Palio 1.2 8v headgasket_hunting_idle

alan49

Thermostat seized, overheated, head gasket blew.
Replaced head gasket, thermostat and CAM belt. Palio started 1st time, but after revving a few times, it started 'hunting' and never stopped!
I found one little air pipe disconnected(vacuum pipe) at back of carb - reinserted, idling back to normal, let it idle for about 10 minutes then switched off.
Next morning started car, and it was hunting again, drove car to work for 2 days, but it was revving like mad at traffic lights.
I removed stepper motor connection, and idling went up to max - put it back again, and was hunting again.
I removed TPS sensor (to try and control throttle with normal accelerator pedal movement)and drove for about 2km(without TPS), then car cut out with no power(hazard lights working, but no other electrics).
I replaced TPS at side of road, but still wouldn't start.
towed car home. I removed and cleaned throttle body - blasted with carb cleaner - looks like new.
The stepper motor was gunged-up,also cleaned it with carb cleaner.
Put everything back together, now car turns over but won't fire.
I can hear the petrol pump, and smell fuel in the carb
(every now and then there is a sort-of faint 'cough' as if it has mis-fired
but it won't progress to actually firing)
I have followed 4 different methods mentioned in various posts about resetting the ECU, and it doesn't seem that any of them work for me.
Any ideas - it seems like a variation on a common Palio problem with erratic idling ?

Hi Peter, thanks for the reply. This is the first chance I've had to login in for a while. Here in SA there isn't public transport, and the distances to travel are huge, so I bought a new car to get to work and back, and the Palio has been sitting in the garage. I was thinking of buying an ODB scanner to see if it will tell me which sensor is causing the idling problem before I go out and buy various sensors. It looks like the 2000 Palio has the 3-pin ODB connector inside the engine bay, attached to the ECU at the back..(attaching pics).
Is it possible to bypass the IAC and just run the engine 'manually' using the accelerator?;)

Attachments

• IMG_0598.JPG
    IMG_0598.JPG
    115 KB · Views: 142
  • IMG_0601.JPG
    IMG_0601.JPG
    112 KB · Views: 88
Im afraid that's not easy possible.
The 3 pin OBD socket is Fiat's own design, a 16 pin OBD scanner will not work, however there are ways to read the 3 pin OBD yourself anyway, just ask in the "Tech Talk" section above, I'm sure someone will guide you there.

thanks Peter, you were right! It WAS the stepper motor.(y)I put on the new CAM belt, set the timing and connected everything back together again. As before, the good old Palio started 1st time(even after sitting in the garage in pieces for a month!).
I didn't use the throttle at all - just cranked it and it started. It initially went into hunting mode, and was revving very high - then, since the air filter was still off and the throttle body was exposed, I blasted a good spray of carb cleaner directly into the triangular hole in left-hand front of throttle body(where it connects to the stepper motor - it instantly dropped the revs back to a gentle idle - and I let it stay there idling until the electric fan came on and off twice.
I've noticed that on the back of the throttle body is a little brass pipe sticking out without any hose connected to it. I can't remember if it was connected before? All my photos conveniently have that piece missing!
can anybody tell me what it should connect to?

revering to the pics you posted there should be a pipe on your air cleaner than go onto that "little brass pipe" it on the air cleaner permanently and in the correct position permanently as it a rather hard pipe

Last edited:
thanks Joseph, you are right - it is the pipe that comes from the air cleaner. I have finally resolved my crazy idling by bypassing the IAC valve(carb-cleaner calmed the revs down, but only until I revved again, then it stayed very high). A new one costs R3450 from Fiat, and other parts places(Autozone, Midas) all direct me to Fiat(surprise, surprise). I blocked off the IAC air intake inside the throttle body(the 'triangular' hole in the photo above) and now control my throttle like an old UNO - using the accelerator peddle.

Back