Styling Painting my black mirrors gloss

Currently reading:
Styling Painting my black mirrors gloss

Starting a new topic because I wanna put my other failure behind me.

right, I have some brand new, plain black mirror caps.

I want gloss, and thought about getting them done properly however I still have all the equipment and I am willing to give it a second shot.

My main question is, do I have to primer black mirrors if all I'm doing is spraying gloss?

I'm ****ting it because it's just a money pit, but seems a shame to waste all my paint....

If your ****ting it and its becoming a money pit why dont you get a bodyshop to do it to protect yourself from more failures?

I cant see it being anymore than £50 at the very very most!

Also no doubt you've looked at getting mirrors from a black GP? no luck?

If your ****ting it and its becoming a money pit why dont you get a bodyshop to do it to protect yourself from more failures?

I cant see it being anymore than £50 at the very very most!

Also no doubt you've looked at getting mirrors from a black GP? no luck?

II've got £30 worth of paint which is why it seems a shame to waste pal! :(

Could not find any gloss ones anywhere!!!

As in Black are these the basic active unpainted ones?

You got something to clean and degrease them EG panel wipe and a scotch pad?

then sand the caps almost smooth

are you using a plastic specific primer ?

Yes mate.

I was curious if primer is required due to them being black already?
@Andy Monty

My plan with my red ones was:

- Sand
- primer
- wet sand 2500
- colour
- wet sand 2500
- laquer
- cutting compound and polish.

Obviously leaving days between to dry

Last edited:
Im still not sure what we are starting with

1. Painted mirror
2. Unpainted mirror

Option 1 a lot easier if you are going for a colour change. Option 2 you need to do extra work as its textured plastic

The video shows option 1

Hope this clears things up a bit and we can go from there

Im still not sure what we are starting with

1. Painted mirror
2. Unpainted mirror

Option 1 a lot easier if you are going for a colour change. Option 2 you need to do extra work as its textured plastic

The video shows option 1

Hope this clears things up a bit and we can go from there

I'm not sure if to call it coloured as it's black. But does that mean it's textured plastic? I presumed my method above would work for textured mate. Then again, I messed up so....if you can help that would be great. Looking for all the info I can find prior to the next attempt

Basic poverty spec black ones are not smooth. They have a pattern

Not an ideal starting point if I'm honest. Go on shop for parts. Ok there is prime red mirrors and black ie cheap spec non painted/never painted originally

Basic poverty spec black ones are not smooth. They have a pattern

Not an ideal starting point if I'm honest. Go on shop for parts. Ok there is prime red mirrors and black ie cheap spec non painted/never painted originally

Can only see these bud:

http://shop4parts.co.uk/?name=store..._8v_Door_Mirror_Covers&cat=Door_Mirror_Covers

I was thinking of getting some pre-primed ones from the same place I got these black ones...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PASSENGER-SIDE-WING-DOOR-PRIMED-MIRROR-COVER-FOR-FIAT-GRANDE-PUNTO-2006-ON-/290959943933?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&fits=Model%3AGrande+Punto&hash=item43be9068fd

Last edited:
This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
See the difference? Black ones are not painted black they are black plastic. Not perfectly smooth surface

Primed ones are perfectly smooth and ready to paint. Should have started with these

See the difference? Black ones are not painted black they are black plastic. Not perfectly smooth surface

Primed ones are perfectly smooth and ready to paint. Should have started with these

yeah ill get some, I just got the black so I wasnt driving round with bin bags on my mirrors!

So, when i get the primered ones:

Step 1: Spray colour coat
Step 2: Leave to dry
Step 3: Sand with grade 2500
Step 4: Laquer (how many coats? Remember the second coat ****ed my others up)
Step 5: Polish etc.

What's your thoughts?

Id firstly take out any imperfections, plenty of water barely any pressure with fine wet n dry,

Clean any gunk, dry thoroughly
Build up your base coat with 4-5 light even coats, couple of hours drying,

Again sand with water not too much pressure or youll be back to painting, get any dust out, another good clean and dry

Same as base coat, build up your lacquer, dont over spray or use alot or youll create runs or orange peel, few coats, use the finest paper youve got i use a grey paper think its called between coats maybe creates the finest dust, another coat of lacquer if needs be from dust holes etc, then 2 days harden, before any polishing

Id firstly take out any imperfections, plenty of water barely any pressure with fine wet n dry,

Clean any gunk, dry thoroughly
Build up your base coat with 4-5 light even coats, couple of hours drying,

Again sand with water not too much pressure or youll be back to painting, get any dust out, another good clean and dry

Same as base coat, build up your lacquer, dont over spray or use alot or youll create runs or orange peel, few coats, use the finest paper youve got i use a grey paper think its called between coats maybe creates the finest dust, another coat of lacquer if needs be from dust holes etc, then 2 days harden, before any polishing

So you're syaing first coat of laquer, leave to dry, then laquer again? I'm using 2500 wet and dry which seems fine enough to me? By the way, I'm not starting until I am 100% clear on the steps to take lol!

Thanks for the help, hoipefully @GYoung87 will suggest his thoughts too?

@Juppy93 - if I try and vinyl I KNOW I will crease it so much haha.

Another coat of lacquer if its needed if there is any dust blemishes you need to sand out, standard rule of 4-5 lights coats avoiding overspray hope ive helped a little lol, hard to explain

I get what you mean yeah.

The word laquer just worries me now, the first coat looked amazing, then the second coat ruined it so it's gonna be tense haha.

So 1 coat may suffice if it 'looks amazing' after the first coat?

Sorry, it's just spraying seems to me an opinionated task with no real facts of what is right and wrong...

Back