Technical Painful weekend of 500 love and care

Currently reading:
Technical Painful weekend of 500 love and care

vexorg

Prominent member
Service including sump and timing belt, what a pita that sump is. It did not want to budge after all the bolts were out. Crow bars and big hammers were needed int the end.

Sump was bad, got a warning in last year's MOT:
sump1.jpg

The exhaust heat shield can be removed enough to get the manifold bolts without removing the lambda. It's the engine lift that fouls it, little bit of force and it clears it:
sump2.jpg

And some hours of fighting and cleaning to get all the old gasket off:
sump3.jpg

New one on. And with a coat of black hammerite, not planned but moving it in scratched the paint going the exhaust, decided that's not a good start to someing that rusts so badly:
sump4.jpg

On to the timing belt. Really confused by the drain plug, the outlet is there but no valve and the gap at the side is less than a cm so no option for getting tools in there, bottom hose it was to drain it (and a trip to get a jubilee to replace the stupid crimp clip):
timing-1.jpg

The waterpump, mini repeat of the sump again as it would not move, again bit of brute force with a crow bar levered it out, and the the joy of cleaning all the old gasket (why cant fiat use proper gaskets!!)
timing-2.jpg

The timing belt itself was very straight forward, though that tensioner adjuster is worth the price of the timing kit alone. A bit of guess work on the tensioning to set it since you cant see it and set it.
timing-3.jpg

After two spins of the engine then it was all still good.

Car started fine, no errors, I didn't set the cam bolt as it was correct after two turns of the engine.
Bleeding the coolant was odd. No water came out the heater hose will filling it. It only started to come out with the engine running, and then in starts and stops. Took about 4 attempts of letting it run and open and close the valve.

The sump is a real Mo-Fo to actually remove. I had to carefully cut away the mastic with a Stanley knife, being ultra careful not to nick the metal face on the engine block.. .but even that didn't do it. In the end a pry bar, levered against the driveshaft I think it was.. got it off... but not without deforming the lip of the sump slightly. If I 'd had to re-fit the sump, I don't think it would have been re-usable.

Any road up, your reward... clean the sump off completely and degrease it. Creep up behind one of your kids with the sump over your face and tell them in your best Darth Vader voice; "I.. am your father..."

It made mine burst into tears.

Sump is a great Darth Vader voice machine. 😅

Ralf S.

The sump started off gently, well not really, smacked it a few times with a lump hammer and that only cause a rain of rust.

Started with knife and small screwdriver to get into the gunk, which turn into bigger screwdriver and eventually crowbar. Definitely couldn’t need re-used, ended up bending the edge for about a quarter of it as I was forcing the sump down to avoid making the block face.

One those jobs you start and think half way through “I wonder how much a garage would charge for this”…

This is why I had discussion with a mechanic friend, thinks it s going to be easier on ramps etc….how do I confirm bolt size in sumps - just remove one? As they can be 8 or 10mm can’t they?

There are ten 13mm bolts and four 10mm nuts on the corners.
M8 and M6 usually, though didn’t check them as they were fine to re-use

Soon the rebellion (or the sump) will be crushed... and Vexorg will be one of us..
This is why I had discussion with a mechanic friend, thinks it s going to be easier on ramps etc….how do I confirm bolt size in sumps - just remove one? As they can be 8 or 10mm can’t they?

I just unscrewed one of Rasputin's sump bolts to measure it.. not for new bolts but just to be sure I was ordering the right sump (some ad's mention "8mm holes" and "6mm holes" etc.).

Once you took one out, you can refit it. If it leaks, it's a sump-off job to re-apply gasket sealer... but do it when you change the sump, to save doing it twice.. 😇 :ROFLMAO:

Ralf S.

Soon the rebellion (or the sump) will be crushed... and Vexorg will be one of us..

I just unscrewed one of Rasputin's sump bolts to measure it.. not for new bolts but just to be sure I was ordering the right sump (some ad's mention "8mm holes" and "6mm holes" etc.).

Once you took one out, you can refit it. If it leaks, it's a sump-off job to re-apply gasket sealer... but do it when you change the sump, to save doing it twice.. 😇 :ROFLMAO:

Ralf S.
did your findings match vexorgs?

Yes.. the bolts are M8 (13mm hex size) and M6 (10mm hex) .... on my 2013 1.2 at any rate.
I can't remember the precise number but 10 plus 4 respectively sounds about right.

The bolts come out okay and if the sump is oily/leaky and so tend to remain in good condition and are very re-useable... but they're standard pitch metric flanged bolts, if you want to fit new ones.

The "bolt size" only seems to be a thing to make sure you get the right sump for your car.. but from my investigations, I think the "8mm holes" is by far more common, even though the other size is the cheaper one.

Mine was a Febi, and I gave it a bit of a smooth down with some scotch cloth (use your missus' pan scourer) and a couple of coats of Smooth Hammerite (aerosol) before I fitted it... and it's looking still pretty much "as new".

Ralf S.

Yes.. the bolts are M8 (13mm hex size) and M6 (10mm hex) .... on my 2013 1.2 at any rate.
I can't remember the precise number but 10 plus 4 respectively sounds about right.

The bolts come out okay and if the sump is oily/leaky and so tend to remain in good condition and are very re-useable... but they're standard pitch metric flanged bolts, if you want to fit new ones.

The "bolt size" only seems to be a thing to make sure you get the right sump for your car.. but from my investigations, I think the "8mm holes" is by far more common, even though the other size is the cheaper one.

Mine was a Febi, and I gave it a bit of a smooth down with some scotch cloth (use your missus' pan scourer) and a couple of coats of Smooth Hammerite (aerosol) before I fitted it... and it's looking still pretty much "as new".

Ralf S.
Still not done mine … I’ll do it when we have moved … my new garage has a pit so that makes it a bit easier

Back