Technical P1171-16 mixture strength (additive) Abarth 500 CEL??

Currently reading:
Technical P1171-16 mixture strength (additive) Abarth 500 CEL??

Hi, anybody know what on earth would cause this fault code on an Abarth 500C 2011 car?
Way I see it additive implies it's a diesel which obviously it isn't.
Tried Autel and Multiecuscan gives the same fault.
It throws a CEL but doesn't drop it into limp mode.
Is it an ecu replacement job. I hope not :(
Any help would be most appreciated.

Additive relates to the fuel trim
ie if the ecu is trying to add a bit more petrol to achieve the perfect petrol air mixture.
Google understanding fuel trims so good YouTube videos , don't have to be fiat specific

Or taking away a little petrol from each injection to achieve perfect fuel air/ fuel ratio

The description given is for mixture strength (Additive) But a quick search for p1171-16 throws up an array of results.

Last edited:
Reporting back with the resolution. When I bought the car, I paid for a full service including spark plugs. They were found to be loose and required one and a half turns to tighten them up o_O no wonder it wasn't running correctly but it has taken a year for them to unscrew enough to throw a CEL! Fitted new genuine ones (ones removed were NGK but not OE like they should have been) and all is good again and as a bonus my Wife now gets more to the gallon than she did before. It was obvious when you think about it, but I trusted the work had been done correctly:rolleyes:

And, guess what? The damned P1171 has returned. I really don't know what to do. Done all the fixes suggested on here (thank you to all who tried) but we are back to square 1 . Booked it into a garage in Shrewsbury who is renowned for their diagnostic work and is considered by local garages as the 'go to' if they are having issues like my car. Time will tell. I'll report back what they find, to hopefully assist anyone else who suffers this PITA fault!

I could be something like a o2 sensor out of range but otherwise seeming to work normally to the ECU, it’s the oxygen sensors which look at the combustion gasses and the ecu decides if the combustion is incomplete how and how much to trim the fuel amount, if it’s slightly out of range it maybe the car Is struggling to get the fuel amount right leading to the fault.

This is just a theory I’ve never encountered this before

Back