Grande Punto P0778 error code

Currently reading:
Grande Punto P0778 error code

brooky30

Hi everyone, thanks for finding time to read this.
I have a 2008 Punto grande 1.2 multijet diesel with a manual gearbox. In April2017, my management light came on with caused the car to lose power then die, I eventually got home, but only by waiting 5 minutes and heading off again. This happened about 10 times that day. Then the next day, no light and everything was fine again. It then happened about 3 months later,
(I can’t remember that fault code) I had to call the RAC, the fault was the fuel pressure regulator, which was reset then changed at the local garage.
Sorry to go on.
Two weeks ago, the fault light came on again, this time the car wouldn’t start at all, so called the RAC again, the fault code this time was P0778, which on his code reader said it was the fuel pressure regulator, so I got this changed under warranty.

Today I did a round trip of 90 miles, filled up, then popped in town for an hour. I was just leaving the car park when it stopped again. I managed to get it to a petrol station. Went back to the car a few hours later and managed to get it started and limped it to a friends house, he put his code professional code reader on it and it showed code p0778.
What is this code for, so I can do something about it.
Please help.

Could be as simple as a clogged fuel filter / dirty reservoir / blocked reservoir vent, leading to a loss in fuel pressure ...

BRs, Bernie

If someone here helped You fix -or better, understand- your issue, hit the thanks icon @ bottom right corner, it's free and makes us feel helpy ;-)

Could be as simple as a clogged fuel filter / dirty reservoir / blocked reservoir vent, leading to a loss in fuel pressure ...

BRs, Bernie

If someone here helped You fix -or better, understand- your issue, hit the thanks icon @ bottom right corner, it's free and makes us feel helpy ;-)

VERY early days in my MJ experience.. but the in.tank.pump

Runs for MUCH longer than my petrol cars..or my JTD..

Maybe its normal and necessary... or could indicate an issue.

Thanks for all your replies. This problem has happened again. The RAC man said that the timing chain was very noisy. Could a stretched chain cause everything to be slightly out of sync with each other?

Unfortunately we had NO update about the previous Failure :-(

How has it been solved ? Did you replaced (once again) the fuel pressure regulator or have you done something else ??

Regarding the timing chain being noisy, it does NOT affect the sync of anything thanks to the way it's built: a streched part that doesn't extend (or very little) and a lose part where the tensionner backs-up the length variations (heat, wear)

BRs, Bernie

Hi, thanks for getting back to me but I’ve decided to sell it as spares or repair. I need the reliability as I start work at 4am, which is 40 miles each way.
Thankyou everyone for your comments.

Back