Technical P0380 error code

Currently reading:
Technical P0380 error code

Theflyingpostman

When my cluster flash a yellow coil icon, plug in from my Multiecuscan, it said relay module, thermostat and glow plugs with P0380.

I have replaced new glow plugs myself (Bosch it wasn't a cheaper!) the flash still appear everytime I start the engine last for 10 seconds then it goes away.

Fit a new relay module from scrapyard. Still flash.:mad:

Fit new thermostat and I was expect no more light but it wasn't :bang:

Removed plug from relay clean with electrical cleaner spray
Same on glow plugs and thermostat plug.

It have not been solve!(n) I could drive with it and ignore it but I am not sure if it is a MOT failure? my car has done 157,000 miles it won't last longer few more years because the body is rusty badly. I have a MOT in August.

All the money that I spend on it because the car is telling me the one error code is relation to relay module, thermostat and glow plugs. What a complete waste of my time when it won't go away what is really wrong with my car?

The fuse location at the engine bay none are fused.

When my cluster flash a yellow coil icon, plug in from my Multiecuscan, it said relay module, thermostat and glow plugs with P0380.

I have replaced new glow plugs myself (Bosch it wasn't a cheaper!) the flash still appear everytime I start the engine last for 10 seconds then it goes away.

Fit a new relay module from scrapyard. Still flash.:mad:

Fit new thermostat and I was expect no more light but it wasn't :bang:

Removed plug from relay clean with electrical cleaner spray
Same on glow plugs and thermostat plug.

It have not been solve!(n) I could drive with it and ignore it but I am not sure if it is a MOT failure? my car has done 157,000 miles it won't last longer few more years because the body is rusty badly. I have a MOT in August.

All the money that I spend on it because the car is telling me the one error code is relation to relay module, thermostat and glow plugs. What a complete waste of my time when it won't go away what is really wrong with my car?

The fuse location at the engine bay none are fused.

P0380 is telling you the cars computer is detecting a problem somewhere between the computer and the glow plug - or even another device is interfering with the wiring between the glow plug and the computer. The fault is not precisely saying the fault is with the glow plug. Could be wiring or connectors.

Just checked the battery is at 13.2 volts when the car is not running. 13.8 - 14volts when the engine is running. It is JTD 86BHP, forgot to include the connector of glow plugs is 9.3 volts, temperature sensor from the thermostat is 6.2 volts and the relay 12.8 volts all the volts are different as the battery of 13.2 volts.

Last edited:
Oh great so many wiring how am I suppose to detect it? all is I do is to ignore it. Isn't worth to spend more penny on my car it must be worth £250 now, I was asked if it is a MOT failure for that light?

Oh great so many wiring how am I suppose to detect it? all is I do is to ignore it. Isn't worth to spend more penny on my car it must be worth £250 now, I was asked if it is a MOT failure for that light?
If you mot runs out after 29th March 2020 you automatically get an extra 6months added to mot.
Google check mot history
Go to website that ends .gov
Put your registration number in and see when your mot actually expires.

Not I don't think it should be a lot fail
It's not a check engine light permanently on.

You check it by putting volt meter lead on a glow plug and other lead to metal or engine and turning key till dash light comes on, does volt meter read battery volts for a short time?
Then put volt meter on next glow plug. Turn key till dash lights come on , does voltmeter read batt volts briefly?

Do that for all glow plugs

You may actually have a problem with the ground wires from battery to engine and engine to body causing wierd voltage readings.

Update about glow plugs volts, when I turn the ignition on it went up to 9.1 on first plug, second plug 9.3, third 9.3 and fourth 9.1 it last for about 20 seconds then go down to 6.4, 6.5, 6.4, 6.3 volts. till 5 minute after warm up volt 0.3 volts on all plugs.
Is that normal?

I have checked the negative connector from the battery to the gearbox is fine.
I have took out the fuse box at side of the engine and unplug clean with spray no luck.

I think better to leave it I am in no mood to look further.
I am think to get new car next year! because it is too old and body not a very good and I reckon this year or next year MOT mind require to welding corrosion body it will be more fortune to put it right than the car is worth. Anyway thanks for the help I wish it was easy but it wasn't.

Ps just read you post about glow plus voltages.
I think your problem may be a faulty - ve lead between the battery and engine/gearbox.

If fault comes back and

If you have a jump lead , connect it between the battery - ve post and a good clean meatal part of engine . See if fault goes away.
If it does not go away connect a second jump lead between good clean metal of engine and good clean metal of body.
See if fault goes away.

Back