Technical Overriding Light Fault Indicator ?

Currently reading:
Technical Overriding Light Fault Indicator ?

ellocotheinsane

Hi, I'm new to the forums so please excuse me if this is in the wrong section ...

I own a 2005 1.9 JTD SW Stilo and I was hoping to (amongst other things) exchange most of the light bulbs with LED ones ... I've had no problems with the interior ones but the exterior ones are all connected to the body comp and as LED's don't provide enough resistance the comp detects them as faulty and triggers a check warning (lots of them actually :) ) ... at least that's my take on it ...

So, any way of overriding the check or am I stuck with regular bulbs (the LED ones look really nice :) ) ?

Also any idea if the front position light bulbs can be replaced without removing / replacing the entire headlight (all other bulbs have access to and instructions for replacement except the 4 positional ones).

Thanx.

positional? any bulb can be replaced once you take the back cover off.. given that your issue is low resistance?? just add a resistor (would have thought high resistance would be a problem here? as when a circuit brakes you get no pass through or 100% resistance and the error is triggered? but then again i'm the wrong person to advise on electrics)
ps: if going down the resistor route - you’d also need it to switch off (disconnect) when lights are on (or they'll be dimmer.. but that also depends on how much resistance you are adding)

positional? any bulb can be replaced once you take the back cover off.. given that your issue is low resistance?? just add a resistor (would have thought high resistance would be a problem here? as when a circuit brakes you get no pass through or 100% resistance and the error is triggered? but then again i'm the wrong person to advise on electrics)
ps: if going down the resistor route - you’d also need it to switch off (disconnect) when lights are on (or they'll be dimmer.. but that also depends on how much resistance you are adding)

I suck at electrics so I could have the resistance thing wrong ... just looking for a way to use the led's without the comp setting off alerts ... as for the position lights (I'm not an English native speaker so I might be using the wrong term) I'm referring to the 4 front bulbs that go on when you turn the headlight switch (on the lefthand lever) to the first position ... so not the H1's or the H7's for the dipped beam or the high beam or the fog lights but the four small ones under the clear blue plastic covers that are frontmost inside the headlight. Maybe I just haven't looked inside deep enough.

Thanx for the reply tho.

If anyone has had experience with LED bulbs on their Stilo I'd love to hear how they solved the warning issue.

If anyone has had experience with LED bulbs on their Stilo I'd love to hear how they solved the warning issue.
It is a common problem and you should find a few threads on this topic if using Search.

Generally it seems to cause grief of some form or other and personally I'd have thought most people have enough to do just keeping their car in the same state it came out of the factory.

Everyone to their own I guess.

from what i understand (which isn't much & having not read any other posts related to the subject - it is likely to be a lot less than most people here) the only way to do this would be to measure resistance of a normal bulb and create a timed resistance circuit: light checks are done by passing a short burst of current - you need to measure the duration and create your circuit to switch to the light bulb when duration of the burst if 2ce as long (e.g. if check burst is 2 ms then should a current be detected for more than 4 ms <this indicates you turned the lights on>the circuit switches from a resister 'mode' to light bulbs) this however will not alert you to a light bulb failure should it occur (which is what the system is designed for to begin with)

Gone thru the search ... was being a noob and not searching first ... as you say it takes resistors and a bit (lot) of electronics to make it work which is currently beyond my possiblities. Guess the LED's will go into the other car (MkII VW Golf) which has as much electronics in it as it takes to display the clock :) ...

Thanx for all the info to both of you.

Something like this should be about right:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/LED-Indicator-Bulbs-Load-Ballast-Resistors-trailer-kit_W0QQitemZ310087023346QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Trailers_Transporters_Parts?hash=item4832a07af2&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=65%3A12|66%3A2|39%3A1|72%3A1683|293%3A1|294%3A50

I replaced bulbs with LEDs on my truck, only needed them for the indicators, but that didn't have the bulb warnings.

I'm still considering getting an LED light bar for the back, this would suppliment the existing lights just to wake up the dozy behind :D :D

Trev

This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
Thanx for the link udtrev!

I already replaced the glove box and the boot bulbs with Grid LED panels which light so much it's sometimes hard to look at them but in the night it almost turns to daylight :)

The boot one works ok with engine running and on the timer after the key's been removed but the glove one dimms down after 5-10 seconds (with low flicker) if the key is pulled from the ignition ... tho I can't see any situation where I'd actually need something from the glovebox and not have the key handy.

The courtesy (puddle) lights in the doors work perfectly with LED's ... I recommend omnidirectional ones as the bulb is sideways. I'll take a few pics tomorrow and add them here.

Thanx for the link udtrev!

I already replaced the glove box and the boot bulbs with Grid LED panels which light so much it's sometimes hard to look at them but in the night it almost turns to daylight :)

The boot one works ok with engine running and on the timer after the key's been removed but the glove one dimms down after 5-10 seconds (with low flicker) if the key is pulled from the ignition ... tho I can't see any situation where I'd actually need something from the glovebox and not have the key handy.

The courtesy (puddle) lights in the doors work perfectly with LED's ... I recommend omnidirectional ones as the bulb is sideways. I'll take a few pics tomorrow and add them here.

Glad to be of help, thinking of replacing boot lamp with LED myself.

This is the type of LED bar I wouls love to fit on back of the Panda

7b00_1.JPG

Trev

Back