Technical Overheating Sei MPI

Currently reading:
Technical Overheating Sei MPI

branton rhino

My daughters car overheats when it is standing but is OK when moving. Tomorrow she will be travelling the 250 miles from Somerset and I will get a chance to have a look at it,- hopefully!

I am guessing it is something to do with the electrics so the first thing I will do is see if the fan works with 12V across it. I understand there is no fan switch on the MPI and that it is controlled by the ecu and a temp sensor.

Assuming the fan is in working order can anyone give me some fault finding advice?

Is it possible to fit a fan switch to control thefan as in the SPI versions?

I assume there is a fan relay that needs energising - if so wher is it?

Any advice much apprciated.

Thanks

if the fan works with a 12v supply then the next step would be to test if its coming on after the car comes up to tempertaure. if it dosent then check the water temp sensor by using a voltmeter in the circuit and running the car.i believe the voltage should drop with increasing temp. report back later for more help

has the coolent been changed? these cars do run quite hot anyway, if you've got crap water in the cooling system, your saking for it to boil, if she has the heater on full in the car and the windows down it acts like a second rad and will bring the temp down.

Thanks, I've told her to drive with the heater on and fan at full blast. That really confused her! but I think she now understands.

Ok, thanks for all the suggestions.

30A fuse blown
Fan motor kaput.
Now found out the car has been in a crash, some welding at the fron end, only visible when the weel arch liner removed.

Now need a new fan and fuse. Checked the relay it functions.
have not checked the temp sensor to see if it gives a signal to the ecu
Anything I should do before fitting a new fan and Fuse?

Hi, fitted new fan and replaced fuse. The fan now works and no overheating. Noticed a bit of water in the exhaust so perhaps this repair is a little too late! Also changed the coolant but was surprised to see the stuff I drained seemed really clean.

Back