Technical overheating on cinquecento

Currently reading:
Technical overheating on cinquecento

hanfromman

hi everyone!
this is my first post here!
ive just got my first car - a cinquecento, and i love it! only problem is, it keeps oveheating!:bang: and having general problems with its cooling systems:mad:
first something was leaking (not knowledgeable on cars - sorry!) so the garage replaced the radiator, then a few days later i had steam coming from under the bonnet and the temp was about 100 on the temp gauge! so basically nearly everything in the cooling system was replaced, apart from the fan, which seemed to be working. then about a week or so later - more steam, but this time the temp didnt seem higher than usual! anyway the garage thought the wiring to the fan was dodgy as it wasnt always coming on when it should. so they fixed that. that was yesterday and today when i parked at work i listened out for the fan but didnt hear anything, and as i got out of the car i might have imagined but i swear a smelt a slight smoky smell!
so what im just wondering is if anyone thinks i still have a problem with my cooling system, or does the fan not come on all the time? the temp gauge was showing just below 90, with the top temp on the gauge being 130, and in the past the fan has come on at that temp. also they changed the cam belt when they did the wiring and since then the noise of the engine has changed! just thought id mention it:)

anyway i know nothing about car maintenance so any help would be appreciated!
cheers!:D

Last edited:
As its a Cinq you can short out the fan switch on the side of the radiator to ensure that the fan is running. Use an opened up standard paperclip and make sure it doesn't glow. If it glows the fan will be turning but the motor bearings are packing up and the fan isn't turning fast enough to move enough air.

Make sure the system is bled and get the cap pressure tested, if it hasn't been done already.

Getting these cars hot is never a great idea.

Cheers

D

:)Hi Rallycinc, Did the test with a paper clip and yes it did glow red.....This means the brushes are on their way out I presume??.....Is there anyway to renew brushes or do I have to buy a new fan??:confused:.....regards Toffa58

I've not heard of anyone replacing the bushes, always seems to be the full fan. It is the same part on any cinqucento, and any SPI (pre 2002) Seicento. http://www.frogbitz.com/ <-- should be cheapest place for a new one.

Also, the sound of the engine may have changed when the cambelt was done as they would've replaced the cam belt tensioner, which is a bearing - so that maybe responsible for the noise change.

Back