Technical Overflowing when filling up

Currently reading:
Technical Overflowing when filling up

ratty

is slow and cheap
1994 MK1 SX Diesel

This has only just started happening, should get the chance to sort it this weekend.

When I go to put more Diesel in (apart from the god awful angle you have to put the nozzle in at :bang:) I can only get about £6 - £8 before it start gushing out.

I'm thinking the fuel filler pipe is blocked at some point, but before I take a good look over the weekend, I wondered if anyone else had a similar problem and might be able to save me some time with some suggestions (y)

It's not that the tank is full (I did a 400 mile trip before putting more in) so I'm thinking there's a block, kink or perhaps an air pipe is blocked (I noticed a thin pipe running along side the main fuel pipe)

Hi Mate,

Yea it certainly sounds like the filler breather pipe is blocked causing pressure gulild up as your filling resulting in it splashing out. Start by checking where it meets the filler neck and work forwards.

Hope that helps,
Alan

Well that was an effort (I should have known!)

I joked to someone that in theory all it will involve is unscrewing four screws, undoing a couple of clips and finding a block. . . . but being a FIAT it'd be a pain in the arse one way or another (my Uno was the same for certain jobs)

All four bolt sheared off around the fuel neck :D

When pulling the fuel neck out so I could get a better look, the bracket that attaches to the inner wheel arches came off . . . made a hole the size of my fist (rust!) :D

Thanks for the answers though guys!

Now to find out about prices of welding, or bodging it myself (y)

Last edited:
Back