Technical Outer CV joint. Or is it??

Currently reading:
Technical Outer CV joint. Or is it??

arnie1971

Ok, so I broke down on the M180 today. Basically going along at about 70 when the car tried to veer to the left, at first I thought I'd had a puncture but then realised I had no drive, and the speedo was reading erratically. Luckily the M180 is not the busiest of motorways and I was able to get over to the hard shoulder with relative ease.

Anyway, when I tried to select any gear there was no drive and you could hear a rattle. I called the RAC cos I was obviously going nowhere and it was bloody freezing! He had a quick look and the N/S drive shaft was rotating, the O/S didn't do anything, so he diagnosed an outer CV joint fail, which makes total sense. He got the vehicle home so I set about stripping down the near side to have a look and right enough you could pretty much spin the drive shaft in the joint!!

My only confusion is while I was sat waiting it was a bit chilly so I started the car with no gears selected and you could still hear a grinding and the speedo was reading about 10mph!! If my issue was the outer cv joint why would this happen? Before I stripped the car I started it and with no gear selected the N/S shaft was rotating! I'm thinking the diff may be an issue, but then when the drive shaft was rotating at the roadside why was the car not going anywhere?

Anybody any further insight? I'm going to change the cv joint anyway, I've started so I'll finish!! I'm just a bit concerned I'll get it changed and won't have actually mended the car!!

Was hoping that was the case just needed confirmation. Thanks for the reply. Just need to get a replacement joint and get it fitted now.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

New Gaitor
Fresh Grease
New Joint
New Nut :)

While your there - you might as well do the diff cup and bearings
clean them up and re-grease those!

If your doing a job - do it properly is my motto :)
Unless your in an emergency/broken down position

Unfortunatly there is nothing you can do to fix this problem except jamming that drive shaft and limping it home

Ziggy

I got one like this delivered by the rac last year it was worn to nothing and obviously there was no cv boot left
I questioned the owner a woman whether it surely made lots of clanking noises but she said she never heard a thing
I had a photo but my laptop sizzled tonight so thats now a no no
She reconned she parked it up at work then going home it just wouldnt drive
Shes not a million miles from the m180 so i guess its the punto triangle so be careful out there:D
anyway looking at the shaft i decided best course of action was a complete s/h drive shaft but i disconnected it from the inner shaft to save oil loss from the box
Was perfect
Remember you have a diff so all power would go to shaft not working to try and give it traction:)

I rolled my last punto near the m180! Might stop going that way in future!

Right that is it. Campaign to stop all puntos using the m180 and surrounding roads. Its just not safe!

My crash and my break down I was driving normally. I was in a punto 1.2! My crash got caught out on hidden Black ice in the trees and the break down, well it just broke down!

roll forward to this week - youngests 1.2 2001 broke down on the A614 nr the M180 creepy - Dad ie me says immediatley - 'release bearing on clutch son - same as your sisters a couple of years ago' -- Duh! why do Dads do Dad things - rip out gearbox, scrape knuckles, swear profusely, bleed, swear again A LOT, clutch in £46 all in from A E Cooks Scunny, gearbox back in - slap self on back --- er NO DUH DUH DUH er fitting new track rod ends - well they were sitting there on the shelf all new and shiny so why not --- er well why does the o/s drive shaft move??? er that'd be because the joint is U/S -- daft Q - as I sit here in pouring rain and thunder and lightning just how does the carrier come out of the hub?

Wear and tare, the cages can fall apart due to age and wear and stress
Wheel spinning for example

ball bearings wear smaller, and allow them to skip and jump around
If 1 jumps and takes the cage with it - no wonder you loose drive :)

personally for ease - i'd fit a okay 2nd shaft from a scrappy with okay boots and use a new hub nut

Saves fannying about with reusing bits and bobs
Just unclip - tap out
Slide in - buckle up
and your done :)

Ziggy

lost reply in midst of typing :mad: youngests replaced and all seemed sorted - however cv off side (uk) was supplied wrong, replaced and fitted tonight - not entirely sure that that the circlips are right - expected C types - -ones in the box have protruding prongs whose ends bent over when tapping shaft onto CV lasted all of 2 x 0.5 mile tests -- then she overheats (WTF??????) cooled down youngest goes (or tries to) for a run - gets all of 15 feet --- same issue - cannot believe a 10p part is totally reliant for drive??????????????

Back