General Ouch - service costs

Currently reading:
General Ouch - service costs

larkim

Established member
Sent B in for MOT and annual service to Mangoletsi in Knutsford (I know their reputation isn't sparkling, but they are soooo handy for me at work).

Unfortunately, MOT failed:-
Offside track rod end ball joint has excessive play
Offside & nearside radius arm has excessive play in a pin / bush
Nearside rear shock absorber has a serious fluid leak
Offside & nearside brake discs excessively pitted (knew about that!)
Parking brake leve has no reserve travel

They've quoted me unhappy with the repair bill:-
Track rod - £33.64 parts plus £32.50 labour
Rear radius arms - £142 parts (total) plus £195 labour
Shock & brakes - £231.08 parts plus £65 labour

How much "over the odds" is that likely to be?

Thanks

Matt

I was thinking of putting mine in for a service. I wish I could work on it myself as the garage prices always seem harsh. I once paid £85 to have my Stilo's air conditioning looked at. They did not repair it – just looked at it. I'm sure some of the more mechanic types will know if your estimate sounds fair.

As for the shocks and brakes, check the independent parts suppliers for prices. I wouldn't change one shock on its own, rear pair as a minimum

Radius arms doens't seem that bad to me - assume that includes any suspension realignment.

Labour seems a bit high for the brakes/shock, surprisingly reasonable for the rest - remember its a main dealer so don't expect £45/hour labour rates.

Tot the lot up and it comes to best part of £900 - seems a lot in total, but a fair few items to address !

Get down to Hillier and Blackburn in Timperley. Steve worked at Mangoletsi for years and is very familiar with Italian cars. They are very reasonable, and in my experience will not rip you off. They do all my servicing on my b, and also my daughter's chinky too.

Track rod end link £6.95

This one should fit the barchetta but email them to check.

Rear shocks link Takes paypal and will post to the UK. 1 Euro at the mo.

Front shocks link 119 Euro

Lower wishbones link £35 each.

Front disks link 28 Euro but I would spend more and get some brand name make but this link is just to show you what you can get for little money.

Brake cables will be a Fiat job and I think you are looking at £50 -£60 for the two.

Also give Euro car parts a call and see what you can get from them.

Hope this helps save you a few £££

Doc Orange Peel

This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
I am with the Doc on this one, I bought a pair of track rod ends for £12 last summer, took about 10 mins per side to change.

Not touched the radius arms so cannot comment, same goes for the handbrake cable although you may be able to get away with adjusting it up for the MOT.

Front brakes are very easy to change, rear ones are not difficult but are complicated by the need for a special tool to wind the callipers in and also a lot of the retaining bolts on the brake lines are usually rusted.

Shocks seem very expensive (assuming that they are only changing the rear's - otherwise cheap for all 4), I have not changed mine but they look like an easy job.

It's a shame that you need to do the job's pronto to get the car through the MOT, if you could accumulate the parts over time you could save a small fortune. Try to get as much as poss off flea-bay, I have managed to get grooved discs (advertised for the Punto HGT) for £20, front fast road pads for £4.50 plus a couple of quid shipping and track rod ends for £12

This guy quite often has cheap b parts, might be worth you buying them and taking them to a local garage to fit;

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/alfa-fiat-...W0QQcolZ4QQdirZ1QQfsubZ14856680QQftidZ2QQtZkm

HTH

LRB

I think you've hit the nail on the head; if I hadn't just left the deteriorating rear end until service / mot time I'd have been able to source the stuff independently and get it done more leisurely. However, MOT disappears in a few days time so its a little urgent.

Last time I got a tax rebate I cooked a Fiesta engine, and I'm due another one shortly so that'll have to go on the repairs at the dealers. Next time I'll schedule servicing independent of the MOT so that I can take my time.

Cheers for the advice all - helpful as usual to a non-mechanic like myself!

btw, what is a radius arm?

Matt

Talking of service costs i git my B back from DTR yesterday and im now ££££ worse off :cry:

i have had a smell of petrol in the cabin since i got the car and they guys there we very helpful and said it is 99% of the time a seal on the top of the fuel tank the just wears away, couple of hours labour and all done. guess what, my B was in the other 1%, some water had got in and actually rusted the area where the seal goes (i saw the B all in bits) and no hope of repair so i now have a new (slighly second hand) fuel tank. and to add to that a few days before i was due to go to DTR my wipers stopped working and i needed a new wiper motor as well :mad:

oh well, thats my holiday money all gone, will have to work a bit harder and no more B spending for now (nothing major anyway :eek:)

i agree with the above, will be keeping an eye out for bit and pieces as they come up to try and save £'s in the future

I buy bit's as they come up on eBay, just sourced a front and rear wheel bearing for £20, have a spare set of front pad's and disc's, couple of switches and relays - if I see a spare that is reasonably priced I pick it up 'cos as some time or another you will need it!!

Back