OT: Recommended Solar Battery Chargers

Currently reading:
OT: Recommended Solar Battery Chargers

Before i go about using my solar charger, can i use it in the cigarette lighter or do i need to have the ignition on or something? Oz how is yours working?

Banner08.jpg

Items For Sale:
Fiat Bravo/a Passenger Airbag Covers to suit MK1 & MK2, Foglight Fiat Bravo/a Headlamp Washer Jets, Bravo & Marea Workshop Manuals, Fiat Bravo Haynes Manual &, Fiat Bravo Owners Manual on CD etc...

Contact Me for more details.

Not tried it on Shabash! yet chap but it worked fine through the ciggy lighter on the Cinq.

ozric.jpg

"Doctor said to give up Keee-Babs. I said 'No, no-no'"
cheers.gif

My Members Page
Shabash! Now with added "OHHHHH"mmph. :)

Does the cinq cigarette lighter work with the key removed and ignition off?

Is there anyway i can test if it works? I know the solar panel works but i would like be 100% sure that im getting power to the battery from the cig lighter with the key removed.

Banner08.jpg

Items For Sale:
Fiat Bravo/a Passenger Airbag Covers to suit MK1 & MK2, Foglight Fiat Bravo/a Headlamp Washer Jets, Bravo & Marea Workshop Manuals, Fiat Bravo Haynes Manual &, Fiat Bravo Owners Manual on CD etc...

If the cigar lighter heats up when the ignition is off then I imagine you could charge the battery.

i concur. But i tested mine using my sat nav. in the punto, it did't power the satnav with the ignition off, with the skoda, it did.

If its for long periods when the car isn't being used, just run the wire out of the passenger door, and into the engine bay and connect to the battery. its narrow and flexible wire, so there'll be no damage to anything

Buzz
The champion of the Bravo 1.4
& now ex owner of a Bravo 1.8

Thanks for the answers Buzz, I will be buying one of these, and I have a plan for it. Would it be ok to leave it connected all of the time, would it do any damage to the battery?

Thanks

Chris

the instruction say to disconnect it when cranking the engine to prevent damage, nothing that can't be solved with an inline switch though.

1.gif

Good thinking Jay, I'll have a look around and see what I can put my spare time to good use!

Chris

A good way to test if its providing power or not is to put an led across. Will light if powering up.Try the led both ways because it has to be connected the right way round

Just to confirm that the cigarette lighter in the Bravo doesn't work with the key in the ignition. Therefore it wont work through the cigarette lighter. Big Shame. However i've always wanted to have a power point in the rear of the vehicle, so all is not lost yet.

Banner08.jpg

Items For Sale:

a lot of cars cigar lighters only work with the key in, A simple solution is to re-wire it to make it permanent.