OT - HOW IS THIS POSSIBLE?!?!!?!

Currently reading:
OT - HOW IS THIS POSSIBLE?!?!!?!

A

Alex

trigrid.gif

It is completely wrecking my head

wow wtf???

how can that be. each shape is the same area and the triangle is the same area but with an extra square. how????

mate i did a level maths and i'm tellin ya by the laws of "areas of a triangle" that just isnt possible!!!!

all the areas of each shape are the same. yet the area of the triangle is the same. so in theory there should be no room for this square!!!!

mate i did a level maths and i'm tellin ya by the laws of "areas of a triangle" that just isnt possible!!!!

all the areas of each shape are the same. yet the area of the triangle is the same. so in theory there should be no room for this square!!!!

I have a maths degree and it doesnt make sence to me....lol

Lol, I cut the shapes out to make sure there was no optical crap involved. There aint. Its just silly! I'm headf**king everyone at work with it at the mo!

I was halfway through doing that, dono't think i'll bother now!!

;)

Neither are true triangles, they are both slight quadrilaterals with their hypotenuse arcing either 'up' or 'down' thus leaving the illusion of a 'spare' box. Sorry to spoil it for you lads!

Ummmmmmmm exactly what I was thinking....... I Knew That...........No........Honest.......I did......Really........Oh okay.........I didn't..... LOL

it is because the angle of the slope on the red and green triangles are not the same therefore although the two big triangles are the same height and length the hypotenuse is not a straight line.

d'oh!! i'll stop waving my a levels in the air now and return under my rock :(

because in one orientation the hypotenuse is sticking up in the middle and in the other orientation it is sticking down in the middle. In other words one has squashed it up. The squashed up one doesn't have a gap as the area of the gap is lost where it sticks up.

I know that is a really bad explanation, try cutting them out, after all i only managed a D at a-level maths, i was going to revise but i spent the day fitting a sub box instead. Then i went onto an engineering course and had to work like **** to learn what i was supposed to know. How was i to know it wasn't all useless :/