OT help and advice needed....

Currently reading:
OT help and advice needed....

E

Emma

I know this may come across as a really strange question but ..........
If my car was totally broke and i was told i needed a whole new engine, what would have caused this???
Would it be a number of things or just one?
It hasnt happened to me, but my brother is trying to fob off my mother, im sure. And its bugging the life out of me coz she bought us both the same cars.
And is it worth just scrapping the car, or just replacing the engine?
His car is worth bout £900 to a grand i reckon.
Cheers in advance
Emma

Cam belt snapping could cause it, or if it slipped a few teeth.

A very bad overheat could warp the aluminium head.

both cases it's new engine time or reconditioning the old engine. Depending on the car it's often cheaper to slot in an identical engine rather than recondition the old one.

Ed

broken crank/ conrod. loads could caus a wrecked engine making uneconomical to repair, a cracked engine block?

^^^^^^^^^^^^what he said^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

claysig2.jpg
[/IMG]

And how much would a engine be?
Not an exact price, just an idea, its for a clio
And labour will be expensive to fit it?

scrapyard one? About £150-£300 depending on condition. a lot of yards will offer a fitting service as well

Right he says the cam belt has snapped and needs a new engine, he says he just gonna scrap the car coz it will cost too much money.
Is it not repairable, or does the cam belt not just snap in the way im thinking, does it cause other damage?
I know im proberbly coming across as a spoilt brat, trying to get one over on my brother, but i just know hes trying to get more money out of my mother, for a better car.

Cambelt snapping does cause damage to the valves. In some cases valves can also go through the pistons. in which event the engine is not worth fixing. cheapest option is a second hand engine