OT - Cheap cars - Warning!

Currently reading:
OT - Cheap cars - Warning!

R

RAB HIMSELF

Just bought a Punto MK1, 99 T 43K. 60 sx
Well I say I, GF bid on the damn thing on EBay, paid 250 deposit then told me.

Any who, she brought it home, fine bit tatty but for 950 what can you expect - right?

Well a f**kin blown head gasket and a fooked water pump! Well miffed!

Emailed the garage that was selling it and they basically said read the small print.

Complete knobs.

Dont buy from underagrandcars unless you are wadded or a mechanic that can skim a cylinder head!

I have been quoted £250 to mend, another 250 out of the coup fund! Does that sound alright?

£250 is maybe a little steep, possibly get it done cheaper. Do you have a mate that can do the job for beer money, what area you in?

West yorks - leeds.

Could do most myself, water pump take off head. Not sure where to get it skimmed and certainly don't want to mess timing up!

any small engineering place would skim your head. There will be loads in leeds

Print off the ebay advert... read it VERY carefully... and pop to Citizans Advice....

Not Fit For The Purpose It Was Intended!!!!

If it stated the car ran, and was fine.. but sold with not warrenty... the fact it stated the car ran fine is a lie as it didn't...... or did it then stopped running fine??

Could this damage be done in the time u owned it.. or was it already damaged??

all questions u have.. but as it was a trader... you have more rights than if it was a private sale!!

Don't just accept, F*off read the small print.. go get some free advice from citizans advise!!!

If you feel u have been dooped then stick up for yourself!!! Are you a fiat or a BMW owner!!!

style5,TommyK.png

tommytag.jpg

style5,TommyK.png

Tommy K - Have you got the Bottle!!

when it said cheap cars i thought it was gointg to be a few hundred quid!! thats best part of 1k!!!

like tommy k said if he is a trader and the car was mis sold get some advise! good luck

Fiat Brava 1.2SX Formula 49k
Fiat Brava 1.4 s 63k as bog standard as you can get! MoT Tue then for sale wed!!
fiat1233.jpg

re

lol, as above, i think of cheap cars as a couple of hundred quid!

Sorry to hear that. Whatever happens it's going to cause you a lot of hassle :(

i just won a cheap toy car off ebay, hope i have more luck than you!!!

The 1242 8 valve is a safe engine, you can't get the valves to hit the pistons if you get the cam timing off. It's all in the Haynes manual as to how to do it.

Most Yellow Pages will have a list of places to do head skimming, should cost about £25 to do.
You either need a valve spring compressor to get all the valves, springs & spring seats, stem oil seals, caps and collets out - or pay the place a little extra to remove and refit for you.
If you're doing it, make sure you mark up which bits came from where.

DIY costs approx:

£25 for head gasket and bolt set
£20 for oil and filter
£8 for antifreeze
£25 for skim
£20 for cam belt and tensioner
(edit) +£15 for water pump