Technical Osram X-Racer

Currently reading:
Technical Osram X-Racer

I've just purchased a pair of Osram H7 X-Racer bulbs for my dipped beam. the bulbs i have been fitting seem to have a very limited life and i can only imagine this is because of vibration in the h/light arrangement (ive been using Ring, Phillips and Lucas bulbs previously and theres no signs of excessive heat or corrosion on the plugs/wiring)

The osrams have an equivalent HID temp of 4000K so they'll be slightly whiter than stock and the info says they have 20% more usable light. the kind of driving i do i dont require anything amazing, most of my night driving is around town on lit streets. ill see how long these last and if there is any notable advantage over stock.

They're supposed to be for bikes so should be up to the 'excessive vibration, causing premature failure' theory. i wanted a full set of Night breakers but ill have to wait until i have more money for that cos i bet it'll be around £60

watch this space.

i had cool blues in my celica many moons ago, i couldn't fault them.

i just want to find something that doesnt blow every couple of months if im honest. ive heard good things about the nightbreakers but i dont know if this repeated bulb blowing is a common thing on Stilos and didnt want to spend loas on those when i found these X-Race bulbs for a couple of quid over what i could buy 1x H7 from my local motor factors.

i had her MOT'd in start of feb an put a drivers side bulb in since then its blown twice... the passenger side lasts maybe 4 months so im expecting to change sometime soon.

fitted these before the sun went down this evening. in daylight there doesnt seem to be much difference in bulb colour between them (installed one and tested), doesnt really mean much though until i use them in darkness...

will update with performance tomorrow after ive had chance to use them in the dark (late shift is good for something, at least)

although on a more positive note... i forgot how much 'fun' it was to replace the passenger side bulb with the battery box still in place!

they're in! and i can gladly say it was worth the scraped knuckles.

they do exactly what it says on the tin, slightly whiter light and more usable light too. all i need to do now is adjust my passenger head light up and in :lol:

worth the money i paid for them... if this is the sign of things to come from Osram i cant wait to get nighbreakers in!

i just use the cheapest I can get because lets face it, they will all blow in the end lol.

had my stilo 6months now...
had all sorts of niggles...

my front bulbs havent blown yet touch wood, i will say one thing tho... the front fogs dont work and from what i can see - there is bulbs in the headlamp for them.

dreadding having to replace them as MOT is due at beginning of april.

but if its fitted it has to work ;)

been doing some research into it anyway. H7s would seem to be lasting between 150 and 450 hours. with me working nights and leaving them on constantly anyway they got a lot of abuse. turns out that it's completely 'normal' for them to blow sooo often.

In my experience, all the so called "Premium" bulbs ( Philips Vision+, Extreme Vision, , Osram Nightbreaker etc.) will burn within 6 months, when used day and night.
It was annoying indeed, so I went for Philips LongLife EcoVision LifetimeX4.
20% more light than Original bulbs and up to 4 times longer lifespan, AND less expensive than Xtreme or Nightbreaker &Co.

2-ampoules-philips-h7-longlife-ecovision-55w.jpg

Last edited:
Back