Organ Donation

Currently reading:
Organ Donation

As long as i'm 'completely dead' with no chance of recovery. My family has been effected by this, my mother had renal failure due to diabetes and neart problems, and in 1989 her kidneys shrivelled up. She went onto peritoneal dliaysis ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peritoneal_dialysis )which had to be done 4 times daily, and it was problematic, and it meant that if , for example, i took her out for the day, i had to have a stainless steel tray, sterilising liquid, a bag warmer (bit like a coolbox that plugs in the fag lighter socket), and 2 'bags' of dialysate, and the front bedroom looked like a chemical warehouse with boxes and boxes of dialysis stuff. Basically meant than anything more than 2 hours out of the house had to be planned and organised.

in 1992, she had a kidney transplant. She had few initial setbacks (her heart was badly damaged, so there were complications during and mainly after the operation, so wht should have been a 5 day stay in hospital became 11 weeks), but within 2 days she was looking better than she had for a number of years.

the kidney functioned perfectly, and bought her a quality of life until she passed away in 1999, after her 6th heart attack. (as i said earlier, her heart was badly damaged, and she had over 80% reduced coronary arteries , and they were calcified, so she wasnt suitable for an angioplasty, and too high risk for a bypass op)

over the years I saw several of her friend she had made at the renal unit, and those who had transplants went on to live almost normal lives.

i am all for organ donation, but dead set against compulsory donation, as it generates negative publicity. My own wishes are recorded, and i dont wish for anyone to over rule them, should the worst happen.

Back