General Opinions on welding/new panels...

Currently reading:
General Opinions on welding/new panels...

Hi all, just after some opinions really...

As you all know, rust is a common problem on pandas, particularly the doors! Well the only rust I have on the bodywork is on the bottoms of the doors, and rather than having to repeatedly treat it with rust killer etc, I was advised that it's better to get new panels welded? Anyway, before I start phoning around, I just wondered if anyone here has had this sort of work done and can give me an idea as to how much it costs?

If it's going to be super expensive then i'll put off ringing around until i can afford to get it done, which is why i'm asking!

Thanks!

Vicky :)

If you can find some replacement doors then thats your best bet. You could get the rust cut out and weld in new metal, but depending on how bad the rust is will determine the cost. Thing is, reparing door bottoms without distorting them can be tricky. Find a good local bodyshop and ask them.

I agree with the guys. If you can get doors put them on. however if you can find a god welder He should ba able to cut the metal out and place new metal in. If you go down the route of getting new metal put in you will end up finishing it with fillers. If the guys good your are talking about a very fine smear of fillers.
The problem is most body shops don't like fidly small jobs like this and try to price them to put you off as they don't want the work.
If i was doing the work you'd be looking at around £100 and that's before painting.

If you live anywere near Chris Watson have a chat with him as he's a proffessional welder and may keep you right the same way I do with Steve and JIm.

Stuartl said:
If you live anywere near Chris Watson have a chat with him as he's a proffessional welder and may keep you right the same way I do with Steve and JIm.

Sadly Vicky lives in Essex, so its too far to go, which is a shame as i would have charged my usual price for panda owners (cost of materials, and a steady supply of tea :)).

Well, here's some pics I just took, they're not brilliant as it's dark now, but it shows the rust. I don't know if the previous owner tried treating the rust but there's tape along the bottom of the door where the rust is - which i've daren't remove! - but actually covers it well.

n/s door
IMG_1137.JPG

IMG_1136.JPG

IMG_1135.JPG

o/s door
IMG_1134.JPG

IMG_1132.JPG

I mean, it's a shame to have to replace the whole door(s) as they're in really good condition save the bottoms, plus aren't they hard to find rust free?

Thanks,

Last edited:
dave said:
i live in essex, there was a red marbella at a scrappy in colchester with perfect doors on it, that was last year not sure if its still there, i could dig out their phone number if you like.

The mabella doors fit the mk1 panda (with a bit of force). Vicky needs mk2 doors. I think this red one has good doors if I remember right Dave. It was still there today, just moved stacks.

DSCF0012.JPG

Give them a call - Kelvedon Autos 01376 583592.

Tell them Dave and Damon from FF sent you.

My Little Panda said:
In that case do you think i'd be better off just treating the rust myself? I have a Haynes manual with colour pictures for that section!! :D

Alan is right. Panda doors, like Uno doors, rust from the inside out. So when the rust starts to show on the outside that means the inside is pretty bad :(

Most body panel suppliers sell repair sections, either the lower part or the whole door skin (from window pillars downwards). But it's a fiddly job and difficult to make it look good as the metal is so thin and tends to distort when welding. You also have to make sure the door frame itself hasn't rusted else you'll still have rust problems.

Find some breakers and keep a look out for Pandas, or even keep an eye on Ebay as panels often come up on there. I was lucky that I found a rust free passenger door for my Uno (£11!) on Ebay after only a month of looking, but it took me nearly three years to find a good drivers door. :bang: And then two turned up at once :eek: so I bought them both (y)

Wasn't there a Panda owner (red one) who repaired his door bottoms recently and painted them? Looked really good from what I remember.

My Little Panda said:
Well, here's some pics I just took, they're not brilliant as it's dark now, but it shows the rust. I don't know if the previous owner tried treating the rust but there's tape along the bottom of the door where the rust is - which i've daren't remove! - but actually covers it well.

n/s door
IMG_1137.JPG

IMG_1136.JPG

IMG_1135.JPG

o/s door
IMG_1134.JPG

IMG_1132.JPG

I mean, it's a shame to have to replace the whole door(s) as they're in really good condition save the bottoms, plus aren't they hard to find rust free?

Thanks,

Stick a screw driver in the bad areas. I bet it goes right through. Your looking at replacing at least 3 inches of metal in my opinion. I've seen it all to often.

1986Uno45S said:
Wasn't there a Panda owner (red one) who repaired his door bottoms recently and painted them? Looked really good from what I remember.

You mean Steve's 750? :)

panda-sport said:
The mabella doors fit the mk1 panda (with a bit of force). Vicky needs mk2 doors. I think this red one has good doors if I remember right Dave. It was still there today, just moved stacks.

View attachment 12778

Give them a call - Kelvedon Autos 01376 583592.

Tell them Dave and Damon from FF sent you.
the drivers one is rust free, the pasenger one has a small dot of rust. but that is a more orangey red than the vickys

Back