Technical Open Cylinder Engine Light intermittently turns on

Currently reading:
Technical Open Cylinder Engine Light intermittently turns on

kazherineco

I have a 1.1 petrol Panda that has had a few problems since I bought it back in November. I changed the spark plugs after she showed a lot of juddering and rev drops while driving. The amber engine light comes on and according to OBD it's a P0202 open cylinder on injector 2. I replaced the injector, warning still there, jiggled the wiring, cleaned the sensor and reset everything. Also replaced zip-ties on the ECU connectors holding the mountain of wires together that feed into them. Problem solved.

For about a month or two. Now the engine light is back on and same code is showing up.

I've cleaned the injector, fiddled with the wiring, and done the spoon-handle method to hold the wiring up at the ECU connectors. I'm hoping this fixes the issue. Won't know until I drive the car however, and the roads are very bumpy which is a problem for keeping things steady in the engine area.

If this problem persists, what's the next course of action for me to take? I don't want to have to mess around with the wiring harness but can't get an auto-electrician out for another two weeks yet. Any little things I could try and do in the meantime to hopefully solve the issue?

I saw something about a y-split in the wiring harness near the injectors that might be causing some of these problems for me.

Other than the fault an engine juddering as the ECU tries to fix the "problem" when driving, the car is great. Runs like a dream when its not having a fit via ECU and P0202 fault.

1.1 panda
Plus P0202
Plus cable types already on the ECU

Sounds like an ongoing wiring fault at the ECU connector

Messing with it can make the problem worse

Someone had success supporting the wiring harness with a wooden dowel

The problem is most likely around here

Unless you know what you doing it’s unlikely to go well

If securing the harness does not work then it probably better left to an auto electrician

BDEF2E89-8016-4829-9823-CDA98206C28B.png
204D12A4-B178-407B-84EE-901DDA21B8B6.png

The problem is most likely around here

Unless you know what you doing it’s unlikely to go well

If securing the harness does not work then it probably better left to an auto electrician

View attachment 418153View attachment 418154
Thank you. The spoon method has worked so best guess is its just the wiring harness around the ecu. I'll sort out a more permanent fix when I can and will also get an auto-electrician if the problem reoccurs. The diagrams are helpful though!

Pardon my ignorance but what is the spoon handle method.:unsure:
Look at @09 johno Posts

They have removed the weight from the ECU loom by supporting it with a wooden spoon

I can’t remember the exact details but it’s been good for several MOTs so I guess several years

As long as you don’t madly wiggle the wires as per YouTube video supporting the wires and cable tying the connectors is all that’s normally needed.

Back