General On the road

Currently reading:
General On the road

panda-power

Hi guys and girls

I posted on here about 12 months ago about my free Panda 1000cl. It's taken me that long to get a driving license and get it on the road.

I've got to admit it's a bit different to my driving instructors Hyundai Getz.

It's great fun to drive, and sounds magnificent.

Only a few gripes; the fan belt is a killer, it screeches every time I start the car and sometimes when I pull away. I assume/pray this is a quick fix.

The lack of power is also an issue, don't know if anyone knows Chingford, E4 but theres one or two fairly steep hills and stalling is always a worry. It seems like when I change down it loses all power.

The door locks have packed up, both the driver and passenger locks. The key goes in but has no effect. I think I killed the passenger side tonight, the door wasnt closed properley and when I turned the key it kind of snapped, and then it didn't work. Access to the car through the boot might not be a novelty for long.

Anyone got any ideas about the locks, I can change the belt, and I'll get used to the power issues.

Other than that, it's great. Plus I may have taken the back seats out, which makes it great for carrying scout gear everywhere.

Pics to follow.

Josh

The lack of power is also an issue, don't know if anyone knows Chingford, E4 but theres one or two fairly steep hills and stalling is always a worry. It seems like when I change down it loses all power.

Your kidding:eek:, try a 769cc Panda(y)

As for the locks, you can either fit remote central locking, works well, or get replacement locks from a scrappy. They're easy peasy to change(y)

Jon.

Hi Josh,

It soesn't have a fan bel as such. The fan's electric. The belt that is screeching is the alternator belt, you can get a new one from a motorfactor/Fiat/Halfords. Dead easy to fit, follow the Haynes/Porter manual you should find one or the other cheap on ebay.

Start your power problems by changing the air filter, spark plugs, spark leads, distributer cap and rotor.

As for the locks. Try taking them out and cleaning the barrels. There's a guide for the boot lock on in the Panda Guide section.

Have fun!

Hello josh, my sisley 4x4 was as quick to accelerate as my daughters 1.2 punto so you must have a problem power wise unless the instructor had something like the 1.3gsi, but your also going from new to very old so don't expect miracles. As above you need to check that it's running right as I've driven a 1000 2wd and much quicker off the mark than the 4x4, it should be light on its feet so as well as what's been said make sure it's tuned properly.

Before buying a new belt adjust the old one or at least check if there is play on it. adjusting is easy by loostening the top and bottom bolts and moving the alternator away from the engine tightening the further it's moved. you really need a prise bar so you can keep the belt in tension whilst you tighten the bolts. Also be aware that if you over tighten you will knacker the alternator bearings. When checking you should be able to move the belt about 1cm up or down from its normal resting position.

unless the instructor had something like the 1.3gsi

He had a 1.6, which was pretty nippy.

I'll try all the above suggestions; leads, plugs etc. see if it makes a difference.

I've a work mate who had a 2.0T Punto, so he's pretty mechanical, a few Fosters should get him to fettle the engine a bit.

Has anyone had much experience of fitting remote central locking?

Cheers guys

Cool. Firstly how much does it cost approx? And secondly can it be done by someone with little mechanical experience of cars?

I know theres a thread about fuel consumption, but was just wondering, about how much can I expect out of a tank? It seemed to drop pretty rapidly from about 3/4 to 1/2. Only did about 10-15 miles. I only stopped being a student a year ago so am I still being tight?

Thanks again

Josh

Cool. Firstly how much does it cost approx? And secondly can it be done by someone with little mechanical experience of cars?

Cost about £50. This is including a £22 central locking system from Maplin's (http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?ModuleNo=12303&doy=16m7) and an eBay alarm (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/CAR-ALARM-REM...hash=item330252669815&_trksid=p3286.m14.l1308).

The central locking system is for a 4 door car, but you can use it on a 2 door like the Panda. This is the central locking system I've used on 2 Panda's now. This central locking system has a set-up to allow it to be operated by an alarm, which is where the ebay link comes in.

I have yet to use this particular alarm system, but have used two similar alarms (from eBay) on the other two Panda's.

If your wanting to wait, I'm buying two of this exact system in person from their shop when I'm in London next week (saves £20 in P+P), so I can let you know what the quality is like.

If you decided to get these two items I'm more than willing to guide you throw installing them, as I can take pic's and probably make a guide as I'm still to install it all in the new Selecta.

I know theres a thread about fuel consumption, but was just wondering, about how much can I expect out of a tank? It seemed to drop pretty rapidly from about 3/4 to 1/2. Only did about 10-15 miles. I only stopped being a student a year ago so am I still being tight?

As for fuel. This is the great thing about the Panda's (esspecially Selecta's). The guage is never really acurrate until under the halfway mark I've found. With the Selecta's the car will read 3/4 when full until you've driven away form the pump. It will then move to aboout 1/8 after 40 miles then wait until another 80 till nearing the half. lol.

You should get 300+ mile from a tank(y)

Jon.

This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
Cheers again, mine of information this place.

Yeah, i'd like to know about those alarms. I know the cars aren't worth loads, but it's mine and I want it to stay that way.

How easy are the central locking kits to fit?

Pics will be up tonight.

Does anyone have a need for a Panda rear seat, I can't see me needing mine anytime soon and it's just going to rot in my garage.

Free as long as it's collected.

Josh

from a 1.6 to a 1.0 there will be a slight difference in acceleration then.....:rolleyes:

Yeah, that might be true.:chin:

It's not the acceleration that bothers me, it's the struggling up very small inclines. It usually happens when I need to change down on a hill, it'll labour for a second, so I'll change down, and there's nothing there. Then it kicks in 5-10 seconds later.

Did manage a wheelspin in second today, which I liked.

Need to get my doors sorted, had to get in through the boot today, wasn't happy. Knelt on a screwdriver.

Josh

Yeah, i'd like to know about those alarms. I know the cars aren't worth loads, but it's mine and I want it to stay that way.

How easy are the central locking kits to fit?

Really easy. Well, I would say that hiving fitted 2 systems now, but I think the hardest bit is drilling a hole in each door to hold the c.locking actuators/motors in place. As I say, I'll do a step by step guide when I install the next system in about 2 weeks time. I might even make another guide to sell on eBay like I have here:rolleyes: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI....m=260263102170&ssPageName=STRK:MESE:IT&ih=016

Jon.

This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
Yeah, that might be true.:chin:

It's not the acceleration that bothers me, it's the struggling up very small inclines. It usually happens when I need to change down on a hill, it'll labour for a second, so I'll change down, and there's nothing there. Then it kicks in 5-10 seconds later.

Did manage a wheelspin in second today, which I liked.

Need to get my doors sorted, had to get in through the boot today, wasn't happy. Knelt on a screwdriver.

Josh

One of the quickest bog standard panda's I've driven was giacosa's when we met in Galashields a while back. It was a little unsightly and very loose but as said did fly. Re the small inclines it depends on what gear and what speed you are doing. If your trying to go up even small hills in 5th at 30mph you will need to change down.

But once it's tuned with timing, co/mixture I'm sure it will be as good. The 999 fire engine is pretty bulit proof unless it's abused and not maintained. If maintained it's pretty use to the type of abuse that the Italians give them.

If your trying to go up even small hills in 5th at 30mph you will need to change down.

Generally going from second to first, if I'm even a fraction of a second late in changing, that's when the power disappears.

p.s. 5th???

Back