On the phone whilst driving

Currently reading:
On the phone whilst driving

no not me! I can just about drive and up the volume on my radio!

Today, swear I felt like someone was looking down on me. I'm approaching a roundabout, look to my right well in advance, nothing down the road. So I slow down on the approach anyway just incase there's someone behind the bush from the opposite side that I can't see. As I'm approaching two cars go straight on from my left. Not a problem, hadn't got to the roundabout yet.

I get to the roundabout, nothing coming from my right. I'm going straight on and as I continue, this person from my left has come roaring past me in a Xsara Picasso. I seriously thought I was going to be spun round or something worse (She was going that fast!) Slammed on my breaks and braced myself. Luckily, she missed me. I noticed she was on the phone and hadn't even heard my horn when I bibbed. I also noticed her son in the back was standing up! There was a car behind me who saw the whole thing.

I was filled with rage. I turned round and chased her down, finally catching up at some red lights. She's STILL on the phone leaning on her door and kid still standing in the back (couldn't have been older than 4). I opened the door and then she got the message.

I could not begin to describe how hard it was to have a go at someone but not to scare the kid in the back. I admit wrong as I was to get out my car and then open hers, no buts. But I've never seen such disrespect for the road and someone's child! Said what I needed to before she drove off, probably not caring a word I said.

The guy who saw it pulled up when I was giving my lecture. He was so shocked and even he went mad when he heard bout the kid.

I do not by any means condone this sort of behaviour in any shape or form, and I'm prepared to get roasted as, in all fairness, I deserve to be. I'm not a violent person and I am not naive enough to drive around ignorant. Had I not slowed down before getting to the roundabout, god knows what woulda happened to me and the kid.

It's just shocking what you encounter these days

(Sorry for the essay!)

For some reason I always find it's people with bay on board stickers who pull out in front of me :eek:. Admittedly I would have been a little upset but perhaps you took it a little too far (that fiery italian temprament?), the horn and a few flashes of the lights usually does it. I would think I was being carjacked if someone did that to me (although I always keep my doors locked ;)).

No roasting from me mate, I totally agree with what you done, I hate the way some people take others safety with a pinch of salt, it's ignorant and completely out of order. Good on for doing something about it. (y)

If someone pulls up next to me and they are on their phone I always wind down the window and shout to put the f***** phone down while driving you dosey ****. It makes my blood boil and then it makes it even worse when they do something stupid because they are not giving the road 100% of their attention. (n)

lol yeah same here, just in case!

It was the only non-violent way to let out my frustration, as it most probably been water off a ducks back in regards to getting a point across!

I was quite shocked though, it's very rare I even flash my lights when I'm on the road

Helz said:
For some reason I always find it's people with bay on board stickers who pull out in front of me :eek:.

Yeah I've noticed a good number of these people speeding/jumping lights/amber gambling - I find it really ironic.........................

I have done things I am not proud about in terms of drivers on their phone/stupid driving but opening a car door of a woman with a kid inside is not something I would do.

Don't picassos have auto locking after 5mph? Dangerous not to have it with people like you about ;)

The Negotiator said:
I have done things I am not proud about in terms of drivers on their phone/stupid driving but opening a car door of a woman with a kid inside is not something I would do.

Don't picassos have auto locking after 5mph? Dangerous not to have it with people like you about ;)
Think of it this way though.
If Spag was a violent person then things could have been a lot worse for the woman, she's lucky he's usually not like that and if it was some nutter she done it to then she may have got more than a telling off. She should take it as a let off and learn from it if she has any brains at all.

Hmmm, hopefully is the word, highly unlikely is almost certain to be the reality these days.

To be totally honest, I wasn't expecting the door to open! Just thought she'd get off that damn phone and notice me. The kid didn't notice I'd opened the door until he asked his mum a question and she didn't reply. I had alot of respect for that kid, he didn't continue like I used to do as a kid, he saw his mum was talking, and carried on jumping around looking out the back window.

The whole thing could have gone a whole lot worse, but think I got away with letting out my anger without scaring the kid

I know it could have been worse!

But Koa, you're the type of person that if you saw some crazy nut (spag ;)) jumping out of a car, shouting at a woman in a mpv and then opening the door, you would probably have lamped him and asked questions later!

Ah, the short range ballistic missile... one of my and my missuses major pet hates! With the amount of time, effort and not to mention money you invest in the little people, I am always amazed when they are allowed to have the run of the back seats to injure themselves and/or you when they are launched towards you in the event of an emergency/accident... :rolleyes:

KoArAnG said:
.........No roasting from me mate, I totally agree with what you done, I hate the way some people take others safety with a pinch of salt, it's ignorant and completely out of order.......

I agree completely, have seen some disgraceful driving today, and I only went 4 miles. People pulling out straight in front of others at roundabouts, going directly across a roundabout using all lanes narrowly missing other drivers, and today's clincher:

Drove away from my house, over the brow of a hill toward a roundabout. Two cock ends in a 206 had gone the wrong way around this roundabout to overtake someone, putting them in my lane heading directly for me. Had I been one of the many other cock ends who insist on doing 45 along this 30 limit, we would have ended up in a rather intimate position.
I can rest easy knowing my Marea has a longer bonnet, more momentum and a big, heavy engine which would hopefully have done more damage to the cock ends than to me, should the worst have happened.

If not, I would have crawled out and beaten them insensible with my steering bar.

The Negotiator said:
I know it could have been worse!

But Koa, you're the type of person that if you saw some crazy nut (spag ;)) jumping out of a car, shouting at a woman in a mpv and then opening the door, you would probably have lamped him and asked questions later!
Good point mate :chin:
If I had witnessed her stupidity then obviously I would have let the guy give her a b0llocking, but I would have gone over to make sure it went no further.
I have witnessed a guy get out of his car screaming at a young woman and opening her door to shout in her face, now I didn't see what she actually done wrong so I did get involved and asked the guy what his problem was but he was so angry. He walked right up to me and I thought he was gonna try and hit me, I pushed him away very hard in the chest obviously I wasn't a woman so he just got back in his car and drove off. I then went over to the woman and asked her if she was OK, and she said that all she done was pull out of a parking space in front of this guy, it wasn't dangerous and she did say sorry. She was shaking so bad, I told her to get out for a few minutes. We were stopped in the middle of the road and there was a big build up of traffic behind us but I didn't really care. Police came along and actually thanked me for calming the situation down. So there :D

KoArAnG said:
Good point mate :chin:
If I had witnessed her stupidity then obviously I would have let the guy give her a b0llocking, but I would have gone over to make sure it went no further.

The guy who was behind me was built like a rock. Glad he saw what she did because he'd probably have me in another vehicle with four wheels, the automatic version!

Good point there, never know what your about to let yourself in for when you start chasing, honking and gesticulating wildly... once had to J turn a 850 special seat marbella when I flashed a bloke in a talbot alpine who cut me up. Followed him down a one way street, then he slams the brakes on hard, selects reverse and comes flying backwards at me :eek: still remember it all to vividly

Back