OMG not my mothers Maiden name!

Currently reading:
OMG not my mothers Maiden name!

another day another publicised example of data loss. it has happened ever since we started collecting personal data, yet for some reason it only started making headlines regularly a couple of years ago. its in fashion these days, same as knife crime and terrorism.

although it breaks my heart to see a usable PC trashed, the only way to dispose of a m/c like that is to put a sledge hammer through the hard drive.

Why on earth.. was there confidential info stored on a PC?

When will people learn? Data stays on the Servers... if it's on the workstations it can get lost, stolen or corrupted.

What's the point in spending £x,xxx on big, multi redundancy, file servers and SANs if you're going to hold databases or spreadsheets on PCs?

last point... who on earth lets a HDD out their company without first at least wiping it? Give it a once over with a low-level formatter or at least give it a windows format.

last point... who on earth lets a HDD out their company without first at least wiping it? Give it a once over with a low-level formatter or at least give it a windows format.

I know what you mean, I chucked a load of old HDDs and PCs out last week and i destroyed the platters on each and every hard drive so they were unrecoverable. There was probably nothing useful on them anyway, but why take the risk? For a bank to not even attempt to remove the data is appauling.

Back