Technical Oil temp. stays at ~ 50 degrees on the highway ??

Currently reading:
Technical Oil temp. stays at ~ 50 degrees on the highway ??

Mickyturbo

Hi,

yesterday night on the highway i saw that the Oil temp. stays around 50 degrees, i drived like 130- 180 km/h for about 90 km and after a small stop of 30 min. i drive back to home again on the highway for 90 km but the Oil remains at 50 degrees. :confused::confused:

the water temp. remains at 70 degrees. :(

when i parked, i let the car idle for like 5 min. and then i saw the oil temperature increased to approx. 60 degrees and the water temperature to approx. 85-90 degrees on the instrument cluster.

today i go out and start the car and waited until my OBD cardelphi showed me about 95-90 Water temp. degrees, then the fan turned on, the oil temperature was about 60 degrees, so the problem it is maybe only when i driving on the highway ?

The water thermostat was exchanged 2 months ago.

There are no error messages about OBD 3pin and cardelfphi soft.

Does anyone have an idea ?

The Coupe has two different ways of oil cooling depending on the engine.

20V NON Turbo uses a water cooled heat exhanger sandwich block. The objective of this is to try and keep oil temperature at water temperature. Advantages are 1) simple to implement 2) cost effective 3) helps warm oil quickly when starting from cold. Disadvantage is basically there is a limit on overall cooling performance when the engine is driven had for ling periods of time.

The 20 TURBO has an external front mounted oil cooler radiator. Oil flow to this is controlled by a thermostat built into the oil filter sandwich block.

From what you are saying I think you have a 20V Turbo model and the oil thermostat is stuck open. There is no fan assist on the oil cooler so when stationary there is no additional cooling. When driving then the oil cooler is fully functional, more so at speed on motorways.

Hope this helps.

ys of oil cooling depending on the engine.

hi,

yes the 20v Turbo, but the watter temp goes down, too.
so when i stand the watter temp goes up to 90 degrees, when i drive it goes down to 70 degrees

maybe its only the watter thermostat ?

hi,

yes the 20v Turbo, but the watter temp goes down, too.
so when i stand the watter temp goes up to 90 degrees, when i drive it goes down to 70 degrees

maybe its only the watter thermostat ?

Well unless you are really thrashing the engine then oil temp will lag water temp and be lower. Cruising on a highway at speed in an aero dynamic Coupe is certainly not asking full power from the engine.

So with what you have said then yes this points to the water thermostat.

Hi s130,

i drive very normaly like 120/130 kmh because i see the temperatur of the oil and watter and i know that something works wrong. Only test 3/4 min 170kmh to see the temp. but it stays cold.

Because i know oil temp is like 80-100 and the watter temp stay normally 90degrees

So i order now the complet package

Oil temp senosor
Oil giver sensor (pression) i dont know the name

And the
Watter thermostat

I was outside and check with a laser thermometer the hoses (tubes) and i see the tube before the watter thermostat has 55 degrees and the tube after the thermostat (the tube that goes to the cooling fan) has also 55degrees
So thats shows me the watter thermo. is everytime open.

Thanks for your help.

Last edited:
Thermostat stuck open on a 20v turbo is the way they go when needing replaced. One of the easier jobs on a Coupe :D Worth changing the censor while you’re at it.

so thank you, i order this things::

KW WATTER Sensor
Oil temp senosor
oil pressure switch (i dont know the name: for the red light when the car ignition is on, i buy it to be safe but in this moment is still working fine)

And the most importen thing:
KW Watter thermostat

Last edited:
And for those who don't have an infrared thermometer or dual thermocouples then you can test your thermsostat as follows.

Start engine from COLD. Immediately turn cabin heating to low/off. Let engine idle. Open bonnet and grab the top radiator hose in one hand and the bottom hose in the other. Now hold on and wait.

Over time the top rad hose will slowly warm up but the bottom hose should remain a lot colder. As the top hose becomes much hotter the bottom hose may warm up a little. Soon the top hose will become very hot and the bottom warmish. When the top hose becomes too hot to hold the thermostat will open and the bottom hosse will RAPIDLY rise in temperature and also become too hot to hold.

If both hoses warm up at the same rate then the thermostat is stuck open and needs replacing.

Hi,

both hoses warm up at the same temp.

so thermostat is death (stays OPEN).

It make sense to clean the water circulation before installing the new thermostat and
should I really replace the water thermostat sensor because it still works?

thanks again

Hi,

both hoses warm up at the same temp.

so thermostat is death (stays OPEN).

It make sense to clean the water circulation before installing the new thermostat and
should I really replace the water thermostat sensor because it still works?

thanks again

It’s up to yourself if you want to change the sensor, it’s just it’s easy while you’re at it and the last time I looked they were not expensive. :)

Back