General Oil Sump

Currently reading:
General Oil Sump

I had my car serviced back in Jan and was advised that my oil sump was quite rusty and would need replacing at some point.

Over the last few weeks, I have noticed some oil spots on my drive way, so I put some paper underneath to make sure it was my car and it was. I had a smallest spot or oil on the paper. When I looked at it, you could see that the bottom of it was soaked with oil. I checked the oil leave and it was ok, so at least it was dripping out.

I called a local mechanic to see how much it would be to replace and at first he said about £100 fitted, but once he called Fiat for a price, he said it would be £125 for just the part, so with fitting and new oil I would be looking at £200. Does that sound right to you??

With my wedding in less than 7 weeks, I really cant afford that sort of money right now so called him back and ask how much longer he thinks it would last. He said as long as I dont wipe the oil away from the sump, it should be ok if I check the oil level once a week.

Does anyone know a cheaper option or anyway that would do it cheaper. Any help would be much appreciated.

Carl

We had a similar problem with my sump as it too was leaking just from some part at the bottom. We cleaned it up and wiped away the oil then waited for it to drip, located the drip point
Then very carefully with a self tapping screw with a foam washer srew into the hole so it seals it. It was pretty risky as the whole thing could have come through though giving us a 10x bigger problem lol. But it worked from this day

This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
Sump is ~£40 + 1.5 hours book time + £20-40 for new oil + £5 for oil filter.

May as well change the oil, I always do. Never know what contamination will get into it if you re-use.

Back