General oil Sump

Currently reading:
General oil Sump

tony316v1

Hi, Just had my punto in at fiat has it leaking oil they said its the rocker cover gasket which they are replacing and cleans the engine down £40. but they said the oil sump is on it way out. How easy would it be to replace the sump myself looking on eay there about £80 including p&p. only letting them do the rocker cover cuz there going to clean the engine down with the streamer save shop doing it who said it would be £20 for that doing but they said the sump cost a fair bit. could i do it myself. any instructions or online video or a site that give you step by step with picture be good too.
Thanks
tony

you shouldnt have to pay more than £45 for a sump really - all it is is a pressed sheet of steel. try shop4parts.co.uk.

1, drain oil
2, remove flywheel cover
3, remove all sump bolts
4, prise the sump off (the sealant will still be gluing it in place) Pull it away carefully so as to not hit the oil pickup which hangs down from the engine to the bottom of the sump.
At this point i left the sump off overnight to get as much oil out as possible, because if some oil dribbles down onto the mating surface, the sealent wont stick at that point and leave a gap.
5, use a stanley blade to scrape all sealent off the block - take your time with this step, dont skimp on it.
6, check the sump in place. it can be fiddly to put on especially near the flywheel end, so this practice will do you good.
7, put a continuos bead of sealent right around the mating surface on the sump.
8, place the sump in position and start replacing the bolts.
9, when the sealent had dried, you might want to trim excess sealent near the flywheel and crankshaft pully.
10, replace flywheel cover
11, remove and replace oil filter
12, fill with oil.
13, take it around the block and then cross your fingers when you park up and check for leaks

be careful with the sump bolts would be my main tip - they are very easily over tightened and ruin the thread. The next would be spend some time getting all the sealant off the block - razor blades help here. Finally, when applying the sealent, put plenty on - first time i did my sump, i used a small bead all the way around mating surfaces as instructed and it left a couple of gaps and i had to redo the whole thing again - digging sealent out of the channels on the mating surface of the sump is not a fun job. The second time, i cut the nozzle on the sealent tube further down to create about a 8mm bead. Worked perfect.

be sure the bottom of the engine block is completely free from old sealent and oil. if you have a drip of oil, the sealent wont stick and you'll have a leak. best thing is to wipe it all down best you can and then leave it overnight. then in the morning give it another quick wipe before putting the new sump on. this way you can almost guarentee they'll be no unsealed points.

Back