oil storm

Currently reading:
oil storm

brilliant documentary on uk tv last night, that will be showing regularly

what happens when a massive hurricane destroys a huge chunk of oil drilling and refining capacity along the south coast of mainland usa? over the following year dissident attcks on vital export terminals in the far east, a bitter winter, millions displaced, crashing stock markets, man made and natural disasters lead to a country on the verge of economic and civil collapse

curiously enough this docu-drama was first aired about 5 months ago......

I watched that like you say it was on a few months back but whith all thats happening kinda makes you think!

now the iranians are working on a death ray that stops all electrical things working.they reckon it would grind USA to a halt because nothing would work.there defence would be useless.no missles,no tanks,no aircraft,nothing.even cars would not work.frightening and very true!!!

"EMP Cannon to the ready"... Surely most miliraries will have magnetically shielded areas, and where radio comms are concearned so long as the signal is properly filtered the equipment should still work, but the signal may be lost.

if so,why are the americans panicing? we have seen there uselessness over the two recent hurricanes,so what would they do or what could they prevent?

Im not sure u can actually defend against EMP, i mean if u think about it, any sort of defence will be powered somehow, and emp stops all power... sooo... :S

sumplug said:
if so,why are the americans panicing? we have seen there uselessness over the two recent hurricanes,so what would they do or what could they prevent?

i think the main thrusts of the programme are to show americas over reliance on one particular power source, and they way it is distributed through the country, with an infrastructure that is already overloadedand vulnerable to outside influence, be it terrorist or natural. added to which a major reliance on foreign sources that puts them at the mercy of the highest bidder for a finite supply of something they use way too much of.

the sad part is although the initial effects are felt within their own homeland, the knock on effect is global, our petrol pump prices. for instance, are heavily controlled by the new york exchange.

If I remember correctly I think the Internet started through the US military wanting secure coms in the event of nuclear war ie lots of emps. So if the sh..ever hits the fan we can all rest easy in the knowledge that the FF can carry on (assuming that there any members left around) :eek:

James Abarth said:
If I remember correctly I think the Internet started through the US military wanting secure coms in the event of nuclear war ie lots of emps. So if the sh..ever hits the fan we can all rest easy in the knowledge that the FF can carry on (assuming that there any members left around) :eek:

well whilst all you with 21st century integrated electronics grind to a halt, you'll be glad to know the tub's steam powered valve electronics will be going strong....gotta love edison.....

no it wont.anything that generates a spark[battery,rotor arm etc] will be effected.its that serious.me thinks if it happened,the world would blow each other up.no more earth! god this is getting morbid.pass the smelling salts someone.

Jai, you watch all the cool sounding programmes on TV then tell us about them, could you maybe do a heads up so I can tape them or am I just being two lazy?

Liam

buy sky+.then tell it what sort of programmes you want to see,and it does the rest and records them.so activematt will have all his power ranger programmes recorded! he he.

bloomfieldliam said:
Jai, you watch all the cool sounding programmes on TV then tell us about them, could you maybe do a heads up so I can tape them or am I just being two lazy?

Liam

no sky+, no videos, nothing up my sleeves, and no safety net, all you need is...shift work......see i'm awake now, having got in at 0900, settle in for some comfort discovery viewing! and away again at 730

Back