Technical Oil problem

Currently reading:
Technical Oil problem

madamadam

I have put 2 litres oil in my car as the red oil waning ligt came on, it is not registering on th dipstick and there is oil on the round any ideas???
I have Punto 55 plate 1.2 8v

I have put 2 litres oil in my car as the red oil waning ligt came on, it is not registering on th dipstick and there is oil on the round any ideas???
I have Punto 55 plate 1.2 8v

Hi and Welcome here...

Now then, do you mean you put 2 litres of oil in and it STILL doesnt register on the dip-stick? And... do you mean there IS oil on the ground where you park it?

If the oil warning light came on there is every chance the sump will be almost empty... but if you have a leaky sump pan dont try to top it up... do you have oil leaking from the engine? If so those need fixing.... fast.... When did you last check the oil before the warning light came on?

:cool:Hi

Yes I mean I put 2 litres oil in car and checked dipstick no oil showing on dip stick, there is oil on ground, not been checked for 8 weeks or so- car was lying dormant dor 3 weeks as I was on hols. There is no oil leaking at engine, the oil warning light came on friday night and we topped up 2 litres saturday morning, light was still on we put a little more in and light is now off but oil on dip stick. Hope this explains better

Thanks
Moira
Hi and Welcome here...

Now then, do you mean you put 2 litres of oil in and it STILL doesnt register on the dip-stick? And... do you mean there IS oil on the ground where you park it?

If the oil warning light came on there is every chance the sump will be almost empty... but if you have a leaky sump pan dont try to top it up... do you have oil leaking from the engine? If so those need fixing.... fast.... When did you last check the oil before the warning light came on?

you probably just need to put more oil in, dont just put another 2 litres in though, you need to add 500ml, then run engine, turn off, wait 2 mins, check level... then repeat until its at the right level.

It should be registering on dipstick, and why is it leaking oil on ground:idea:

It should be registering on dipstick, and why is it leaking oil on ground:idea:

Punto's suffer from rusted out sump pans. This is where the oil is held within the engine, right at the bottom. So that needs looking at or you will lose your oil, and the engine too... that effectively writes it off unless you are fairly wealthy. Check for oil leaks from the top of the engine though too, around the rocker cover area.

Punto's suffer from rusted out sump pans. This is where the oil is held within the engine, right at the bottom. So that needs looking at or you will lose your oil, and the engine too... that effectively writes it off unless you are fairly wealthy. Check for oil leaks from the top of the engine though too, around the rocker cover area.

Engine id defo dry oil is down at the bottom there is a long pipe to the left and it is all wet with oil

The fault could well be corrosion/rust thats allowed the oil to drop out and showed up while the car was parked up.

DO NOT RUN THE ENGINE. or it will become an anchor faster before it can get warmed up!!! No oil circulated wrecks every single moving part.

Seriously, if you don't have the tools to repair the leak get the car towed to a garage. DONT EVEN THINK ABOUT DRIVING IT.

The fault could well be corrosion/rust thats allowed the oil to drop out and showed up while the car was parked up.

DO NOT RUN THE ENGINE. or it will become an anchor faster before it can get warmed up!!! No oil circulated wrecks every single moving part.

Seriously, if you don't have the tools to repair the leak get the car towed to a garage. DONT EVEN THINK ABOUT DRIVING IT.

Got a mechanic coming out to check it for me, he is mobile and I use him most times

Thanks for your help:bang:

Problem solved it was the sump that was leaking, all fixed along with a nice new oil change and spark plugs changed - running like a little dream again. Thanks for all your advice

Problem solved it was the sump that was leaking, all fixed along with a nice new oil change and spark plugs changed - running like a little dream again. Thanks for all your advice

Yaaay me! (y) :D

Back