General Oil Leak on Sporting

Currently reading:
General Oil Leak on Sporting

Phaeton

Still feeling cold turkey
Lads Cinq appears to have developed an oil leak it seems to be either near or behind the cambelt. Is it a big job to take off the camshaft pully & replace the seal behind it? Is this a common problem? anywhere else we ought to be looking?

Is this a dealer part only?

Phaeton said:
Lads Cinq appears to have developed an oil leak it seems to be either near or behind the cambelt. Is it a big job to take off the camshaft pully & replace the seal behind it? Is this a common problem? anywhere else we ought to be looking?

Is this a dealer part only?

have you checked its not the cam cover gasket? Sometimes they seal funny behind the pulley.

If not, then you can get the camshaft oil seal as part of a headset, im not sure if you can buy seperately.

Luke1985 said:
have you checked its not the cam cover gasket? Sometimes they seal funny behind the pulley..

Is this what us old'uns would call the rocker gasket? If so don't think so as it's finding it's way onto the cambelt & then being thrown up onto the underside of the bonnet as the plactic cambelt cover doesn't fit right.

Phaeton said:
Is this what us old'uns would call the rocker gasket? If so don't think so as it's finding it's way onto the cambelt & then being thrown up onto the underside of the bonnet as the plactic cambelt cover doesn't fit right.

yea :)

And it will get onto the belt and throw its way up if its leaking at the back behind cover, mine was like it when i got the car - nothing some instant gasket didnt solve :D Worth a try before ripping it apart to change the oil seals :)

Washed all the engine down & still cannot see where it's coming from, it's loosing 5 litres a week so you would have thought it would be obvious. Only thing we have touched since getting the car is putting a K & N on it. Any ideas folks

Even me not rating it very high, it won't be the K&N filter;) .

It is rather the lesser case that the cam seal goes. If it should be the case then you have to take the cam belt off, because the cam pulley has got to come of th get the seal off. By then you might want to replace the cam belt and tensioner because there is not much more involved to this.

But before you go this far I would change the cam cover (for the old'uns rocker cover;) ) gasket. This will set you back the princely sum of not even £2.50. When changing the cam cover gasket you have to clean both surfaces thoroughly (no oil in the ridge). You do not need any sealant to do this and torque the four bolts down gently. Also cheque before that the cam cover isn't warped. Generally you can only use this gasket once. When taking the cover off you usually need to replace it. Otherwise it will leak.

Hope this helps.

Definately not burning it, everytime he stops he has a pool of oil underneath. Taken off the inner wing plastics & the one to the radiator cleaned it off again but still unable to see where it is coming from . Problem is it's getting onto the driveshaft & the alternator & then just being thrown EVERYWHERE.

Starting to get really frustrating, it can't be the sump as that's too low & wouldn't hot alternator & driveshaft. It really doesn't look like the camcover but for that price I'll change it anyway, did notice it has a bunch of silcone on it so it might be.

had the same prob on my sporting sei,was the cam cover gasket,put some instant gasket on the gasket were it arches over the cam shaft.been ok since.(2 months ago).try the easy before changing the oil seal

Well yesterday we took off the K & N & put back all the original pipe work, cleaned off the engine, he went out last night did over 200 miles & not a drop this morning on the floor. Don't understand why but it was definately the K & N causing the problem. Must be setting up some kind of vacum/vortex & drawing the oil out of the camshaft breather :eek:

Back