Technical Oil leak abarth

Currently reading:
Technical Oil leak abarth

Shaun86

1.6 16v Dynamic
Well i have been having a few problems with my abarth first off it started with what seems to be a mis-fire and loss of oil pressure when the engine was warmered up to normal temperature. Fiat diagnosised this as being the variator acutator so they replaced that taking £240 odd for the pleasure to not fix it... :bang:

The mechanic suggest it may be the exhaust that is on its way out so i replaced the back box to no prevail ( needed doing anyway as it was rusty to fook) nice new SS back box now.

Now i noticed im using a lot of oil, although i know the abarth has a thrist for the stuff but this is abit to much nearly 2 litres and only 1300 ish miles done. Well the other day i noticed some oil on the undertray underneath it that is, and today there was oil on the floor. So i went in search of leaks to find this, i think this is where it is all coming from.

took a few pictures to show where i think it is coming from.

seems to be from somewhere near the rocker cover area o/s.
DSC00243.jpg

and here is what it looks like there
DSC00241.jpg

I'm betting now you wished you had kept the 1.6 :( the abarth is a pain in the arse when you get problems like this [which is most of the time] (n)

I'm betting now you wished you had kept the 1.6 :( the abarth is a pain in the arse when you get problems like this [which is most of the time] (n)

at the moment i do, wish i had kept it and turbo'd the 1.6 lump.. but im an optomistic person and believe that she will be fixed and running in no time. :eek:

Ah well good luck mate I dont envy you one bit ..never had the abarth craving knowing how unreliable they can be but I wish you well and all the best and hope you can sort it soon (y)

Shaun cant quite make out where the leak is on the engine with that photo but gonna have a stab ..is that a pic of the timing cover to engine on the abarth ?

Shaun cant quite make out where the leak is on the engine with that photo but gonna have a stab ..is that a pic of the timing cover to engine on the abarth ?

yeh that is the cover, to me i think possible rocker gasket. but im unsure whether that would be giving me the low pressure at idle. :rolleyes:

Have a look at this off eper see where the oil pump is situated on the abarth do you think this could be it and there is possibly a leak between the mating faces of the pump and the block :chin: or am I on the other side of the engine ..

http://www.spangerum.com:7080/navi?...INT_MODE=0&EPER_CAT=SP&GUI_LANG=3&WINDOW_ID=1

your on the right side of the engine. ive just been out to have a look.. it is a lot lower down than where i can see the leak at the moment. but it could be a strong contender, would be a reason for the presure drop as well at idle.. hmm nice on pnl i will mention it to the fiat lot tomoz at the garage to see what they sat..

your on the right side of the engine. ive just been out to have a look.. it is a lot lower down than where i can see the leak at the moment. but it could be a strong contender, would be a reason for the presure drop as well at idle.. hmm nice on pnl i will mention it to the fiat lot tomoz at the garage to see what they sat..

No probs mate only glad to help ..must get more familier with the 5pot so I can help you guys out more :chin:

PNL needs a 5 pot for stripping any offers :D

actually looking at that picture of the bit it could be, going to go have a better look now will report back in a moment.. :p

I'm waiting :D

worse than waiting for a baby to be delivered this is :rolleyes: all this pacing is killing the old back :(

There's an additive you can put in the engine to revitalise the gaskets ..I have used it and it works well ..you have nothing to lose have you and could save an expensive strip down at the minute :idea:

There's an additive you can put in the engine to revitalise the gaskets ..I have used it and it works well ..you have nothing to lose have you and could save an expensive strip down at the minute :idea:

will have a little search about to see about that stuff, i managed to take another photo of the oil pump and there is oil on a part underneat it.. and also a fresh bit towards the left upper part. (sorry photos crap was on cam phone)
DSC00242.jpg

Could well be it then ..I think I got the stuff from helfrauds ..its from use on paper and cardboard/cork type gaskets ..they go hard in use and eventually let oil by ..this stuff put life back into them and seals the leaks ..and if its is the oil pump i will be under pressure and force it past the old gaskets (y)

well been to the Fiat Garage in pewsham, and there verdict was there is an oil leak from behind the timing belt area. (which i already knew of) Could be any of three oil seals apparently or even the head gasket as it is in the middle part of the block. And apparently the fault im having is not a fault but the normal 5-pot engine, hmm will have to see what you lot think at CC.

They said they will not know until they have taken the timing belt cover off the car to have a more in detail look. then he went on talking about UV dye tests to find the area in worse case scenario of not being able to see the problem area. He also said that even if it is a seal it is best replacing the cambelt whilst at it, So i got a rough quote for doing the cambelt and tensioners and an oil seal if that is what is wrong. came to a grand total of £400 ish as he said ( he also mentioned that it is not a firm estimate could be under or over.. Undecided )

Oh and to add to insult to injure he was going to charge me 1/2 hour labour to take the undertray off to have a look at the engine!! until i said i have the tools in my car and can take it off in under 5 mins... ( he did'nt like that one bit Azn)

Anyway at the end of the day car is booked in to have the engine looked over more on the 12th-13th sept, but whilst it is in i have managed to get myself a free courtesy car (Probably half the engine size of the abarth .. Sad)

Back