Technical oil in air filter

Currently reading:
Technical oil in air filter

cinqy_smurf

i opened the airbox on my 899 cinq today for the first time since ive had it, and theres a puddle of oil under the pipe to the bob, with a trail all the way up the pipe.

the cars working fine, it had some overheating and leakin problems, but these have all sorted themselves out, so im thinking it oculd jsut be the remnants of an old problem thats been sorted and not cleaned up (the last owner wasnt very motor-headed)

anyone got any idea why there';d be oil like that so i can check it out?

if i remember rightly in the 899cc there is the long pipe from the airbox to the bob on top of the throttle body but there is also a oil camcase breather pipe which goes to the cam cover! it could well be oil being pushed up through this pipe then down to the airbox. check to see any traces of oil around injection turret and look down pipe from turret end.

hope all this making sense :eek:

anyway, there is meant to be a firetrap inside this breather pipe but if there isnt and u can poke something right thro it then oil is coming back up from camcover, if not then it could still be that but as a result probably of overfilling oil.

if you really want ill have a pop over and have a look for you ;)

Hi,
If the air filter is dirty it will suck oil through from the engine, fit a new air filter and re-check in a week or so, a little oil coming through there is not a problem... :)

Thanks
Paul T

cheers guys, im gonan clean it all out and see if it comes back, ive got a feeling its an old problem that sorted itslef out, liek the overheating and hte leaking (this car is like herbie or something) if not, ill come see you minty ;)

Back