Technical OIL GRADE CONFUSION ACEA C2 or C3 ???

Currently reading:
Technical OIL GRADE CONFUSION ACEA C2 or C3 ???

SBQ

Have a 2013 Ducato 2.3L MultiJet 130

For years been using the Total Oil Quartz ACEA C2

https://catalog.lubricants.total.com/en/products/lkx/QUARTZ-INEO-ECS-5W-30

Now i'm seeing more low SAP oils that are C3 and finding it very hard to find the exact ACEA C2 oils. All the major autoshop retailers don't stock a C2 oil and the current standard they say is C3

If I recall correctly, the Multijet 2.3L is EURO4 spec engine
Newer Ducato MultiJets are EURO5 which may spec the C3 standard.

So should I strictly be buying C2 full synthetic. What drawbacks would going C3 oil as showing below by the ACEA association, the 2 oils are different:

https://www.oilspecifications.org/acea.php

There is a local oil I can buy here in NZ by Caltex

https://caltex.co.nz/assets/Lubes-product.../Havoline-ProDS-V-SAE-5W-30-1611.pdf

On page 2 it says compatible this C3 oil is suitable for use in C2 engines :

"• ACEA C2 engines*
* Please note that user will not receive fuel economy benefits"

However, what does this * mean???? "Will not receive fuel economy benefits" ????

Is this to say the C3 oil is a different viscosity rating and thus lose fuel economy?

Please clarify because this oil business is awfully confusing. :bang:

C3 oils have a higher minimum high temperature viscocity rating than C2 oils. The lower rating of C2 oils allows them to achieve better economy by reducing friction in the engine.

C3 oil is unlikely to do your engine any harm provided that its viscocity rating is compatible, but I am surprised at your difficulty in obtaining C2 oil, as it is still a current classification and is the recommended ACEA grade for current Euro 5 and Euro 6 Ducatos.

Are you able to search online suppliers on NZ by the Fiat technical reference for the oil as stated in your vehicle handbook?

I can do that in the UK with several suppliers. For instance the specification for the oil for my van is "meets Fiat specification 9.55535-S1" and a search brings up numerous oils which meet or exceed that specification.

I have previously used Shell Helix Ultra ECT and currently have Fuchs GT1 Pro C2 SAE 5W30 in my van.

C3 oils have a higher minimum high temperature viscocity rating than C2 oils. The lower rating of C2 oils allows them to achieve better economy by reducing friction in the engine.

C3 oil is unlikely to do your engine any harm provided that its viscocity rating is compatible, but I am surprised at your difficulty in obtaining C2 oil, as it is still a current classification and is the recommended ACEA grade for current Euro 5 and Euro 6 Ducatos.

Are you able to search online suppliers on NZ by the Fiat technical reference for the oil as stated in your vehicle handbook?

I can do that in the UK with several suppliers. For instance the specification for the oil for my van is "meets Fiat specification 9.55535-S1" and a search brings up numerous oils which meet or exceed that specification.

I have previously used Shell Helix Ultra ECT and currently have Fuchs GT1 Pro C2 SAE 5W30 in my van.

As i've posted before, Havoline brand their website when I select vehicle model and engine type comes back with 2 of their oils and both are C3 having compatibility of C2. But as you know, they're not really the same oils.

I've been hear some Ducato Multi-jets are experiencing tappet noise when 1st starting and I wonder if locally, it's because of the use of C3 oils that don't have the same viscosity rating. I do want to be exact and with European designed engines, the oil specification is rather important. It's not like push rod American engines that almost any oil will do.

I'm also afraid to say both major autoparts retailer (Repco & SuperCheap Auto) in NZ have high end oils that are ACEA C3. I've never been able to find off the shelf any C2 spec oils. Hence why in the past when we bought our Ducato in 2013, I had to go to French brand Total Oils from their wholesale supplier to get that C2 oil. Of course there's the Fiat Selenia WR oil from the local Fiat dealer but their price is the most expensive.

It really annoys me that there's little option in NZ for C2 oils. Furthermore, I do suspect many of these MultiJet engines may be wearing out prematurely by using C3 oils. It may be fine during use for the warranty period.. who knows. oh and another thing. It may seem that the major retailers sell the C3 grade oil... they would put it on sale price because it seems to be more popular. I'm not happy to be paying MORE $ for C2 (because it's less common). HELP!!

Back