Technical Oil Filters Interchangeable?

Currently reading:
Technical Oil Filters Interchangeable?

bushy

Hi all,

I have spent quite a while now searching through the threads to find an answer to this question, but unable to, so hope it hasn't already been discussed on here.

Just a quick yes/no question really... are the oil filters for the Cinq/Sei interchangeable? I went to Halfords yesterday and they didn't have one for the seic in stock, but did have one for cinq. Will it fit?

Car is 1998 'R' Seicento 899cc

Many thanks.

Last edited:
Yes - the cinqs and seis share the same engine range.

Though the newer MPI Seicentos use a slightly shorter filter (probably due to the heat from the cat at a guess). If you have this, then someone with an MPI Sei can post and say what they do :D

EDIT: Quick on the edit button I see! Yes, it should fit.

Last edited:
Hi all,

I have spent quite a while now searching through the threads to find an answer to this question, but unable to, so hope it hasn't already been discussed on here.

Just a quick yes/no question really... are the oil filters for the Cinq/Sei interchangeable? I went to Halfords yesterday and they didn't have one for the seic in stock, but did have one for cinq. Will it fit?

Car is 1998 'R' Seicento 899cc

Many thanks.

Yea I was in halfords today and compared the two filters the mpi sei which is smaller and 9.99 where the cinq filter is larger and 3 pound cheaper strange.I have not tried to fit the cheaper cinq one so I do not know if they are interchangeable.

the mpi sei and spi sei take different grades of oil to one another.

one takes 10w 40 the other 15w 40 cant remember which car takes what grade.

Although either grade is ok in reality in either car

may explain/be a reason why there are two different filters and a different cost

Last edited:
There's a guy on Ebay selling Cinq/Sei oil filters for £2.50 inc post. I got one and it is made by TJ Filters, part number TJFB5322. I've never heard of them, will it be any good or should I just go and get a better one? Ebay item number was 290259905816 but it ended today though he had a few left so expect he will relist. He was also doing 10 at £7.50 plus £8 post.
Also, can I use a synthetic oil in my Seicento 899? I'm thinking more so that I need only change it once a year, car only does about 8000 miles a year but at the moment I change the oil and filter every 6 months or so as I expect an 899cc engine probably works quite hard.
Cheers,
Ian.

Last edited:
They seem to be based in Plymouth. Whether they're actually made there, who knows. Probably OK.

Providing your motoring is not stop go and/or short trips where the temp guage barerly leaves the stop, I'd stick to the manufacturer's recommendationsfor oil changes (there's a FAQ or Guide up at the top). If I remember correctly, it's every 9 months or so many miles. No real point (and a lot of expense) going to better than a semi-synthetic.

For the 899, i recommend using 15/40 .. it quites down the engine alot for me !!!

As for oil filter, can it be that much difference between manufracturer ??? I mean is just a simple piece of equipment and i don't think it matters to the normal road user.

Ming

For the 899, i recommend using 15/40 .. it quites down the engine alot for me !!!

As for oil filter, can it be that much difference between manufracturer ??? I mean is just a simple piece of equipment and i don't think it matters to the normal road user.

Ming
Many many years ago I had a VW Golf and you had to be really careful about which oil filter was used. The VW one had an anti return valve which was a fairly vital feature. Some of the copies didn't have it and I believe it caused exessive wear from a cold start as all the oil had drained from the filter and it was about 10 seconds or so before it filled up, apparently made a bit of noise too.
I think also a better quality filter will filter out smaller particles thus causing less wear over time.
I'd never heard of TJ Filters before so I just wondered what standard they were that's all.
Cheers,
Ian.

TJ Filters? I've used them in the past. They're fine.

From the construction, I'd guess they were made by Fram.

Back