Technical Oil filter

Currently reading:
Technical Oil filter

Yes. It's pointless changing one without the other.

Oil picks up lots of debris from around the engine. The oil filter collects it. But if the filter gets clogged oil pressure forces open a blow off valve within the filter. This stops the filter bursting, but releases all the debris and dumps it straight back into the engine.

With a trade card they're way under a fiver at Halfords.

+1
The filter is going to be either a bit or substantially cheaper than the oil you put into the car, so like fingers99 says, there's no point not to change it. Even if you factor in the cost of a filter-tool as a one-off (which it's not), it's probably cheaper than the oil.

Shop4Parts has them at £4.56 (punto mk2 8v) including VAT.

Having done my first DIY oil and filter change in last couple of months, I'd say that changing the filter is also the easier and cleaner part of the job.

There are two kinds of people, those who change their underpants after a shower and.........
In fact there are three kinds, those who understand maths and those who don't:)

Will I need the filter tool as well?
Yes. I used one like this:
http://www.sealey.co.uk/PLPageBuild...rogroup=1311&analysiscode=&requiredresults=16
Not sure which size it was though, as borrowed it from a friend, I reckon the smaller one. There are lots of designs.

I've seen people talk about removing the filter by punching a screw-driver through it and using that to twist. It sounds messy and like you'd risk damaging something. However, the filter that comes off is pure scrap anyway, so whatever you use, it doesn't matter much if the tool damages it.

Putting the new one on is a matter of hand tightening.

Back