Technical Oil Filter Housing Gasket

Currently reading:
Technical Oil Filter Housing Gasket

Grando

Hi all. I need a new oil filter housing gasket for my 2006 Sedici 1.6. The part number is 71741814 and the garage can't get hold of it – it's on back order and they're not confident about timescales.

I wondered whether the SX4 part for the corresponding petrol model of that year (09280-62003) would fit? I would assume so, but then I also know what to assume makes... The SX4 o-ring still has to come from Germany, but at least is showing up on parts systems as being in stock there and available.

Thanks for any advice.

Grando

Oil filter housing gasket?

If this is a cartridge filter (I don’t know where the sedici 1.6 comes from but it was on the later fiat 1.6 engine)

Then the “gasket” which is usually a large rubber O-Ring is usually included with the replacement oil filter cartridge. If it is the old style metal can type oil filter the “gasket” is a flat rubber seal built into the filter.

So what exactly are you struggling to get, if yours is a diesel then I’d not assume anything at all can be taken from a petrol engine, the only thing they’re likely to share in common is the listed displacement of 1.6, even then they might not share that in common they’re not the same engines with just a different fuel added.

What exactly is it you’re trying to replace? Is it just an oil filter and oil change or is it some part of the piece that the oil filter attaches to that is broken and leaking

Hi. No, I mean the small o-ring that goes between the filter and the pipe! (Not the included o-ring in the oil filter itself.)

This little o-ring is the part I'm struggling to get, so the gist of my question is whether the equivalent SX4 part for the same petrol engine as my Sedici will do the job... Fiat and Suzuki have different part numbers and a garage's system doesn't seem to throw up the other brand's part as a default alternative, hence me doing some Googling... But to clarify, I have the petrol Sedici (1.6) and the SX4 alternative o-ring I've found (if I'm right) is also for the equivalent SX4 petrol from the same year.

(The part might alternatively just be called an oil seal, though my mechanic referred to it as an 'oil filter housing gasket', so I defer to him!)

My understanding was..

The Diesels are from FIAT

The Petrols from Suzuki

That seal should be a relatively inexpensive purchase.. if a UK SUZUKI place can get you one

The forums SX4/ Seidici group was never busy.. but worth using SEARCH to see what you can see about the Petrol motors

SOMETIMES.. multibrand use carries 'adapted' part numbers

Eg.
Starts with a 3 not a 7.. but carries the same last 8 characters

See what you can find..

Good luck and do let us know what you find (y)

In the past if I went to Ford for Iveco Sofim engine parts, the same part could be bought cheaper from Fiat by taking the 100 part number from the front it then became the Fiat part number. They did wise up to that eventually.
I found oil cooler O rings very expensive from Fiat and Fiat pack when it arrived was marked PRC (China) so in the end I bought an O ring making kit from Loctite, sceptical at first but it has certainly worked and I have been able to locate on eBay the same rubber in different sizes plus square section as some Fiat seals use a square profile O ring.

@Grando

Ponthir garage in Ponthir South Wales are probably well worth a phone call

They are established Suzuki agents..and have had Fiat for a few years too :)

They seem perfect for a discussion of your options.. genuine parts..or alternatives

IF its just an O-ring seal you can buy most sizes pretty easily

Material choices available too
Viton and Nitrile being common o-ring materials

Again

Do let us know what you find :)

Thanks everyone for the advice. I’ve managed to get hold of the part (I think it’s the correct bit) from Germany: https://www.autodoc.co.uk/car-parts/oem/71741814

Mind you, looking in the engine I’m not convinced the leak stems from the back of the oil filter housing but instead is coming from the oil pressure sensor. I’ll get the garage to check - at least I have this part though and I’d have thought a pressure sensor will be easily obtainable by the garage if it is that.

Back